How To Leave Jehovah's Witnesses Easily and Painlessly

by Daniel Metz 62 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think that in all likelyhood such a strategy would merely get you DAd - just the same as a DA letter would.

They certainly would view such a person no better than they would a DA person - i.e., you would be treated essentially as disfellowshipped for apostacy.

• Judicial Committee
    Judicial Committee

My goodness, they are a religion and that is all; they have lied in most case’s caused family divisions and manipulated others with fear, completely distorted most of a persons priorities with those of their way out veiws, this religion somehow got parents to feel it was more important to ostracize and segregate their children emotionally in school so they would not be “worldly” by not taking part in holidays of pursuing a higher education to benefit themselves. Don’t misunderstand me here, the very fact that your asking this question, should cause you and others to give pause” just how is it that a religion somehow makes us feel we owe them anything. Think about this, It is not like joining the armed services, where you would be AWOL if you just walked away. Religions are voluntary, if my recollection serves me right.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't know about today's JW's. So many don't really know the doctrine. (I mean the basic doctrine, nobody can fully keep up with the nonsense changes in all of it.)

Even before reading the quote Blondie posted, I knew the standard answer to the person trying to invalidate his own baptism would be that they had enough understanding to know what they did and to live fully up to their dedication now. They could go to Jehovah in prayer any time they want to and confirm their dedication, but the "public display" [will not / cannot / doesn't need to] be repeated.

• moshe
    moshe

The best way, IMO, is for the KH to get the idea that " they want you to leave", but hope you do it on your own without them telling you.

JWs hate needy people, they also hate people who act strange and blurt out what they are thinking.

I know a pioneer who was in a car wreck and she had a head injury. At first everyone rallied around her, until they discovered her personality had changed. She said whatever she was thinking- oh sister, why are you wearing that outdated rag? Oh, sister, why don't you have something done about that mole on your lip? Oh, brother that suit looks like a homeless bum slept in it last night. Yep, she couldn't help herself and they couldn't do anything to her as she had a medical condition. They lived in fear that she would just say something weird at the WT study- and she did. So they all gave her the cold shoulder until she got the idea to fade away all by herself-

added- the "you reap what you sow" applies to anyone who leaves a cult- their is no way to leave painlessly.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Blondie's answered the question, case closed.

The thing to remember is: Once you start trying to squirm out of the club, not matter what excuse you use, you are not fooling anyone. They already know why you're leaving. Many of them wish they could leave too but are held captive by personal, business or family issues. They are not really interested in your rationale for leaving; if fact, the more detail you give them, the less impressed they will be. They do not want to know because they already know and it frightens them on some deep level.

Just go.

• satinka
    satinka

Welcome to the forum, Daniel!

Welcome!

As soon as you express your "doubts" (this is how the elders might see it), you will be watched for having "Apostate leanings" ... Just my two cents.

But, since you have a desire to leave, I send you positive vibes and wish you success and much happiness!

satinka

• sir82
    sir82

FAIL.

The elders' attitude will be "So what? You're baptized now, and that is what counts."

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome!

I'm switching congregations soon. My cards will be lost forever! That's the closest there is to paradise on earth.

• steve2
    steve2

On the other hand, if anyone follows those 8 steps and succeeds in leaving 'easily and painlessly', let us know. There's nothing quite so compelling as evidence; but to date, the evidence overwhelmingly suggests it's neither easy nor painless to leave...if only it were....

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

1. The brothers will not let you get "re-baptized"...that's out! They'll study with you if they think you need it, but once you've made your dedication...REMEMBER THIS...you've dedicated your life to the WATCHTOWER SOCIETY (associated with Jehovah's Witness). They don't baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit. You answer YES to confessing your sins to them (elders) and turning around. And you answer YES to being known as a Jehovah's Witness from there on out. THAT'S what your dedication is.

It would be easier for you to move somewhere else, have your card tranferred, and don't even go to the meetings. Get lost in limbo. OR...if you're ready to take on whatever consequences...just stop going and if they come around asking duck them or whatever. If they corner you and ask you if you believe in the teachings anymore...say NO. (this is easier to do if you have no children) one can divorce a wife, but if there are children involved, more planning and reassuring may be needed to take your stand.

I've seen too much negative, yet true bs about the Society...so I KNOW I'm getting out soon enough. But I have to strategize my exit. But I WILL EXIT. See I have kids, but I have more relatives NOT in the org. than those that are...so I'll still have familial love to draw on. I know many of you are not as fortunate. But FREEDOM is WORTH IT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit