'The Great Submission', Masculinity, and Future Elders

by metatron 8 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I will, in this post attempt to filter my thoughts thru the prism of Political Correctness and thereby cause no offense to anybody. If I fail, I ask that the "jury disregard those comments" ( laughable if a judge says it because it underlines what was said).

Since the Watchtower allows nothing but ( a veneer) of Male Domination, it faces a bleak future because of the decline of masculinity in general society. They abhor the idea of any 'Sunday School' or more and so are not training young men to be fathers, husbands or just men generally.

I once went to a 'get together' - so called because the term 'party' might create offense - and noticed young brothers together with (hot) young sisters..................................................discussing SHOES !!!!

I also note that many young men - in the 'truth' or not - seem to have a devoted attachment to their I-phones ( or equivalent) to a degree unmatched by any such devotion to a real girlfriend. There are a great many 'apps' for such devices but ....................I can think of a few special 'apps' that only a Member of the Opposite Sex Can Provide.

During the '60's, there was an unnoted event in Watchtower called the "Great Submission' ( by one older sister) in which Sisters were sternly told Their Place In The Congregation by Brother Knorr ( printed in the Watchtower, of course, and thereby Holy Writ). After this Theocratic Spasm Subsided, the more normal arrangement of having Sisters influence their hiusbands discreetly resumed.

And so much so, on top of the Decline of Masculinity, that many elders today would be utterly helpless without their wives helping them to get things done in the congregation.

Indeed, there are many "men" today - elders who are blatantly pu**ywhipped so that they are directed or vetoed by wifey. So much for Scriptural Qualifications......

On the surface, Male Domination continues - as with Only Men being allowed to direct parking at some assemblies. Pointing to a Parking Space Still Requires a Penis ( but not to actually point with).

And they wonder why they can't get young men to carry microphones or reach out? Good Luck to the Watchtower - as run, in future times, by Momma's boys, closeted gays (NTTAWWT!), socially stunted nerds and boys Who Have Never Slow Danced With A Real Girl Other Than Their Sister and Play Online Video Games All Day.

metatron ( you may now return to the PC world and initiate flaming me)

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

metatron ( you may now return to the PC world and initiate flaming me)

Let me tell you something Mutha F#$#$, actually, I haven't read this post yet. I'm looking forward to it later though!!! Earlier today I was reading Eldridge Cleaver's thoughts on James Baldwin, who was gay, and I wonder if your post is in a similar vein. I'll find out later. G'night all!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Lol metratron. I don't think there is a reduction in masculinity. I find a man willing to equally value a woman's input as extremely masculine. He is secure and doesn't have to prove anything. I don't know about the shoes, LOL. Perhaps just an extension of the Metrosexual move. Look, guys aren't guys because they have grease under their nails anymore. It's the computer age---so there are the phones. It just veers from the stereotype--that's all.

However as time goes on I do think that the borg will be dealing with the stunted men. As information becomes more easily accessible, some very masculine men are going to walk away. That leaves behind the needy.

That's funny about the parking. I never really thought about it.

NC

• scotoma
    scotoma

In JW land women don't count.

Have you ever seen a sister taking attendance.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I've been asked to take attendance in the Women's bathroom---lol---but I guess that doesn't count. there were always SO MANY sisters in the bathroom chatting and talking and enjoying themselves. No wonder they had speakers in there. We would just turn the speakers down.

NC

• luna2
    luna2

Some congregations hold to masculine domination more strictly than others. After moving away from the first congo I ever attended, where one prominent elder's wife held a lot of power (and there was much speculation that he was a gay man desperately living a straight life), at least one other sister rose up to challenge male rule there. She would whisper in the elders' ears, she would write notes and pass them to elders who were up on stage, she could make or break reputations....and they seemed to have no problem with it (at least that's what I heard). They would still posture and proclaim male superiority, but they certainly allowed these two women to act as unofficial elders.

In contrast, the congregation I started attending out east was very careful not to let women gain any authority. They went so far as to remove one pioneer sister from the lists because she was too aggressive and challenged the elders on several occasions.

It all seems to vary from congregation to congregation. Frankly, it seems that they ask the impossible of elders anyhow. These guys are supposed to make all the decisions and run the show, give all the talks, councel and discipline the wayward, set a good example in everything from field service to their family life and squash any females who try to step up to take on any authority...many extra hours of meetings and talks and duties and pressure with very little compensation.

• alias
    alias

there were always SO MANY sisters in the bathroom chatting and talking and enjoying themselves.

It was those little, off-program things that made it all tolerable for us sistas.

alias

• aristeas
    aristeas

M

Your thoughts are worth pondering. Two things you said were esp. noteworthy:

1. This first one was REALLY FUNNY!

'I also note that many young men - in the 'truth' or not - seem to have a devoted attachment to their I-phones ( or equivalent) to a degree unmatched by any such devotion to a real girlfriend.'

2. The second tragically true, largely b/c they just want obedient automatons:

'Since the Watchtower allows nothing but ( a veneer) of Male Domination, it faces a bleak future because of the decline of masculinity in general society. They ... are not training young men to be fathers, husbands or just men generally.'

luna's comment below is right on too:

'It all seems to vary from congregation to congregation. Frankly, it seems that they ask the impossible of elders anyhow. These guys are supposed to make all the decisions and run the show, give all the talks, councel and discipline the wayward, set a good example in everything from field service to their family life and squash any females who try to step up to take on any authority...many extra hours of meetings and talks and duties and pressure with very little compensation.'

Thx for all these observations...so much to think about here!

• talesin
    talesin

lotsa people are whipped ;)

men choose manipulative partners, so do women

it's no different in the KH

no flames to see here, people ...

video game addicts (and there's a lot), well, they don't seem to have much of a life at all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit