How to answer a question about Rap...

by Gozz 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gozz
    Gozz

When asked if there was an easy way to answer a question about the Rapture, a JW elder wrote:

* http://www.purelanguage.net/forums/showthread.php?s=006de3e393838177d3885c8dfed1384c&threadid=661

An easy way? Probably not. People who believe in the Rapture tend to be 'fundamentalist' and over-literal in their interpretation of Scripture.

However, I would ply them with questions to see just what they mean by "the Rapture." What is its purpose? What does it accomplish? What does the Bible say about it? How important is it? (There is only one verse in the whole Bible that mentions it, and not by that name.)

The Reasoning book has some excellent questions -- for those who are willing to reason -- to draw people out on this subject. (pages 312-317) Also, you might check the WT Library CD, as there have been articles on this subject in the magazines. For example, there are two fine articles on the Rapture in the January 15, 1993 Watchtower magazine.

Fine reasoning by an appointed elder in the Christian Congregation! But one that seems to be suffering from selective amnesia. 'Fundamentalist' and 'over-literal in interpretation' is what the JW religion is all about. Saying there's only one bible verse that refers to it in the bible is really enlightening. How many verses talk about the 'Faithful and 'Discreet Slave'? As for the fine January 15 1993 Watchtower, that must be a huge joke...
  • ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

hmmmm the same way you would attempt to describe a space shuttle launch to the deciples of 2000 years ago. *smiles warmly*

It seems that if you look at the so called "rapture" from a modern and also Sci-Fi point of view it would indicate a "beam out" of many all at once and in the beam out process the patern buffers alter your being into one of greater durability.

Norval (chuckles softly)

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I wonder if the elder could convince Tim LaHaye, who is the author of the Left Behind series???

• LDH
    LDH

Good Observations, Gozz!

What shoddy reasoning on the 'one-scripture' rationale!

It just cracks me up that even in their online world they think they are better than others! Why, they speak the "Pure Language!" [8>]

Lisa

PS--When I first saw this thread it read "How to answer a question about Rap" ha ha I thought Oh Great now she's giving him troubles on Rap music, too!
    Check your email later this morning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit