Should I take over my father's business

by gilwarrior 7 Replies latest jw friends

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

For the almost 12 years my dad has owned and operated his own business (a bakery) in the Houston area. I know that my father wants me to take over it some day and I would love to own my own business, but the problem is that my people skills are in the toilet. I tend to get frustrated very easily. I sometimes I can't handle complants. Most people that I know think that I am crazy for not wanting to take over my father successful business and I would like to, but I am scared of failing.

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Fear of failure is another part of life. I don't kow of anyone who hsn't had that fear. Most still have it. I bet your Dad even had it. If you are comfortable with the work, I say go for it. Just because you are running it doesn't mean you have be out front, you know. Hire someone with good people skills and have them be the front person.

Good luck and I hope that you too are a success

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

go for it gil!!! work on your people skills, don't just sit around and complain about them. ya know?
    taking over this business could be a wonderful oppurtunity!! don't blow it because you are afraid to fail ... you won't know either way unless you try. mommie dark once taught me something and i will never ever forget it ... "you gotta take the leap even if it shatters your safe little world"

good luck gil!

~*~ manie sans delire ~*~

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Bea, you just you always seem to be there when I need help the most!

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

gil, as a person who has a few ventures (to say the least) GO FOR IT!!! IF you are as good a Baker as your Dad.....then you have nothing to worry about in that area. Seinfeld had a great segment once about the "Soup Nazi". Despite the fact that the "Nazi" had total control he still had a thriving business. I am not stressing that you need to be rude or inconsiderate, but that being an owner DOES NOT say that you have to have contact with the customers. If you are a good Baker.......go for it but deny any contact with customers.

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

The solution is simple: Hire someone to manage and run the place. When you do this you keep your free time and still keep the profits. With your free time you go and start another venture and hire another manager for that one.

Religion Stops a Thinking Mind
    <x ><

• larc
    larc

David,

Have you actually done what you are suggesting? I don't think the answer is that simple. Hiring a store manager is expensive and may take up most of the profits. I think Gil would be better off to hire friendly clerks and manage the business himself. Clerks with good people skills cost much less than a manager who knows everything about the business.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey gilwarrior,I have built and or managed many succesfull business`s.I would agree with larc.Hire staff with people skills and manage the business yourself.If you like the bakery,you should have great fun...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit