I have just left my parents home and the JW's about six months ago and have found it hard to get over.

by StephanieH 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

You are a SURVIVOR.

My God, not that many go through what you went through in your childhood. You are well away from the abusive truly CHristlike drunks who destroyed your self esteem in the first place. Let Jehovah love them and their hypocrisy. You have seen the truth for what it really is.

You have the guts to stand up and walk away into your own LIFE. Let the dust settle. Leaving is like a rollercoaster/ bomb attack. It will take time for you to get into focus and look around.

You have come this far with so little help. You are going to make it.

OXO

HB

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome StephanieH. I look forward to more posts from you. From your post you seem fairly well balanced and have been working your plan to meet more Worldly people, talk with a therapist, control being harrased by the JWs, and meeting other former JWs by posting on the JWN. You might want to read Steve Hassan's books to learn more about phobias that you may be unaware of from being a JW. Good-Luck!!

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• dgp
    dgp

Welcome, Stephanie. Be strong, because you're on the right path.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Welecome.

You are not a bad person. Instead, you are a true person with true grit. Great move on the restraining order!

To thine own self be true, and thou can't not be false to any man.

It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Meanwhile, it sounds like your parents are totally living a lie. And, the lie is driving them to drink more, perhaps?

How's college going?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Just marking. I wanna take my time reading this tonight or tomorrow.
    Meanwhile, a warm welcome to you.

• StephanieH
    StephanieH

NewChapter, yes I have managed to keep some contact with my mother over the years dispight the many visits to the 'back room' and disputes with my father and his wife over it. I saw her for the first time in over six years a few months back, sadly she doesn't live close anymore so I'm not sure when we will see each other again, she has been in bad heal from the life she fell into after being dfed she turned to drugs now she has had servral heal issues since 09'.

skeeter, College was one of the steps that helped me make my final stand. I was forced to drop out of high school when I was 15 but I did get my GED after a round with DHS coming out for child neglect/abuse charges (which were dropped once my parents threw out their lies and brought up religious beliefs). I have desided it best to take the summer off so that I can deal with some things and start my healing prossess. I will start back to school in the fall. I am actually magoring in psychology and minoring in sociology so in many ways my 'tough upbringing' will pay off in the end I hope to be able to help others. I know that in time I will heal but there will always be scars from this left behind.

I truly thank each of you for your support. It has at least made today a bit easier and as I continue on I think being a part of this website will be a great help. I have been doing my own research for a few years now secretly before I managed to find my way out of the JW cult. I only wish that some how I could help, if no one else, my older sister and her family to see. Her children mean the world to me, in fact her oldest son has called me mom since he was a baby. I hate to see others go through what I have, but know that I know that I am not alone I feel stronger and I do believe in time I will be able to help other people who have gone through similar trials.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Wow Stephanie, you have survived a lot! I agree with the others, keep doing the therapy, and look at www.meetup.com for exJW groups. It is important that you are around people who can understand you. If you're on facebook there are lots of exJWs to friend. There is also a gay FB exJW group "Gay & Lesbian ex Jehovah's Witnesses" where you can find a lot of kind people.

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

Welcome and as everyone here will attest to you are starting a new chapter in your life. Your going to have to rebuild, trust that there are people out there who have been through similar things ex jw or not who will love and exsept you.Let yourself mourn the past, its not an easy thing, its the end of an era. But things are going to be better from here on out . :-)

• Velour
    Velour

Wow, you are so brave. I must assure you that it does indeed get easier over time. Really, you have to allow yourself the time to mourn and heal and live. Time.

I definitely reccommend getting involved in activities that you find fulfilling. Surround yourself with supportive people and try to put your mind on the benefits and positives you're experiencing now. It sounds like you have a wonderful girlfriend who wants to help you heal and live a happy life. You're in school creating a better future for yourself. The meaningful relationships you form now will not be destroyed by a superstitious cult. These are positive things. Great things you would never experience inside that organization. As much as it hurts now, leaving that band of fanatics has set the foundation for you to live. To not hide anymore but to be able to express yourself as you really are. The way is open for you to find out who you are if you haven't yet =) And you don't owe any of those elders an explanation. In reality, they are a bunch of folks poking their noses into business that is not their own. Those men don't need to know about how you live and who you love. They have their own families and the ''Watchtower's" appointing of them is a fraudulent claim to any authority over you.

I would also reccommend reading. Get your hands on books and read! Books on science, philosophy, expos és of Jehovah's Witnesses, other religions and cultures, anything! I've been reading since leaving and having knowledge not tainted by the Jehovah's Witness lens, via their literature, makes the world an easier place to make sense of. I've learned what evolution really is, not just what the Jehovah's Witnesses say it is. I've learned about other religions according to people who follow those religions, not just what Jehovah's Witnesses say those religions are. I've learned what can really happen to the earth, not just what Jehova..you see where I'm going with this. After years of being a Jehovah's Witness, we've built up a way of looking at the world and the people around us. We have prejudices and misconceptions we are not even aware of. Fears and silly ideas that have been lodged into our minds after reading that literature, those words, over and over again. Reading has helped me to shake those loose, question them and get rid of them. Freeing my mind and thinking ability has helped me free my heart.

It's only been a year for me since leaving that religion. But when I left I was personally determined to live happily. I felt that if I left and spent too much time weeping over what I left behind then I will have let them win. They would be able to tell other young people trapped in that religion that I was experiencing ''godly sadness'' and be able to point at me and say, ''look at how unhappy you will be if you leave God". That religion controlled my past, my youth, I will not let it reach it's hand into my future.

Not that my own determination should be your own. All ex- Jehovah's Witnesses have many reasons to mourn and hurt but I think it should make way for healing and rebuilding. We've given up our freedoms for far too long to that religon. The freedom to express yourself in actions, in words, in love without restriction is too great an opportunity to miss out on now that we're free. I hope you being free makes you smile through the hurt.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I just want to say "Welcome!"

It may sound a bit cliche,but all we can do is take each day at a time. And it already sounds like you have made great strides. Keep it up,we'll be cheering you on!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit