Egyptian Religion VS YAHWEH (The Baby Killer)

by NomadSoul 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanticide#Ancient_Egypt

In Egyptian households, at all social levels, children of both sexes were valued and there is no evidence of infanticide.[14] The religion of the Ancient Egyptians forbade infanticide and during the Greco-Roman period they rescued abandoned babies from manure heaps, a common method of infanticide by Greeks or Romans, and were allowed to either adopt them as foundlings or raise them as slaves, often giving them names such as "copro -" to memorialise their rescue.[15] Strabo considered it a peculiarity of the Egyptians that every child must be reared.[16] Diodorus indicates infanticide was a punishable offence.[17] Egypt was heavily dependent on the annual flooding of the Nile to irrigate the land and in years of low inundation severe famine could occur with breakdowns in social order resulting, notably between 930-1070 AD and 1180-1350 AD. Instances of cannibalism are recorded during these periods but it is unknown if this happened during the pharaonic era of Ancient Egypt.[18] Beatrix Midant-Reynes describes human sacrifice as having occurred at Abydos in the early dynastic period (c. 3150-2850 BC),[19] while Jan Assmann asserts there is no clear evidence of human sacrifice ever happening in Ancient Egypt.[20]

---------------------------

Does anybody else see the irony?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Egyptian religion is remarkably different in that human sacrifice was only practiced early on. After that, it enjoyed a long period of sacrifice free existence. The reason for this is the relative abundence they enjoyed. They depended on the anual nile flooding for eveything. Except on rare occasions, it came regularly. Thus, they had lots of free time to study things, build things, etc.

Easy conditions made for an easy religion. Not so the desert wandering peoples. Their hard lives were reflected in their religions and their gods, ie yhwh/bible, and the koran. Christianity, at it's core is based on human sacrifice. How some christians oooh and aaah about jesus being sacrificed in their places to a sicko desert god.

S

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

That's an interesting point you made there.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

This brings up what I have been thinking about in regards to the OT passages with the God sanctioned genoside. For example, it is argued that the people who were to be slaughtered were very wicked. So what if I give you that? Lets say they were wicked, and that means killing all the men, women, and teenagers. But babies and tolders could be taken out of that enviorement and raised with the "Godly ideals" of the Isrealites. Babies are not "too far gone" and this example of what the Egyptians did is a prime example. So my question that I am asking myself, is why didnt God tell the Isrealites to take the babies and raise them? Why kill the babies? This is something that cannot reconsile. I mean, wouldnt that be the right, loving thing to do? Isnt God suposse to be even more moral and loving as a human that can see the situation here?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

So my question that I am asking myself, is why didnt God tell the Isrealites to take the babies and raise them? Why kill the babies? This is something that cannot reconsile. I mean, wouldnt that be the right, loving thing to do? Isnt God suposse to be even more moral and loving as a human that can see the situation here?

That is exactly what I found ironic. Growing up a JW I was taught that the Egyptians were these terrible pagans that only enslaved people. Yet I come across this particular aspect of the Egyptians and makes me say, "Wait a minute, let me get this straight..."

• glenster
    glenster

"Isnt God suposse to be even more moral and loving as a human that can see the
    situation here?"

I don't want to see anyone hurt or killed for a God belief unless I see a
    divine intervention, and I haven't seen one. My take on tribal wars for God,
    religion as law of the land with people klled for it, etc., being
    dropped in the NT is that OT people were only brought along so far. (The
    stance that the OT is more representative of OT people's human cultural habits
    and the NT better understands faith understood as such, etc.) . But it deserves
    to be said regarding even a more conservative OT God concept than mine that:

- Lower in the same Wikipeda article is the section on YHWH. Infanticide was
    banned.

Otherwise,

- Prerogative makes a difference between a human killing an animal vs a human
    killing a human, and likewise between God having a human killed and a human
    killing a human. The former in each pair has the prerogative, which makes a big
    difference.

- Most people, including myself, aren't an all-loving people and it wasn't
    supposed to be an all-loving God.

Put them together, and you have a God and with a better than human vantage
    point to look down on the animals with the most culpability, humans, showing
    that common human selfishness is unfortunately appropriately named, and a better
    vantage point to do anything about the cosmos, without recrimination. The
    simplest coverall explanation is that it's all fair game because it's all His.

The history of Egyptia vs. OT slavery is hard to detemine, but I have the same
    liberal stance as mentioned at the start of the post about OT slavery vs the NT
    during which slavery was the Roman law of the land:

"For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord's freedman;
    likewise he who was called while free, is Christ's slave. You were bought with a
    price; do not become slaves of men." (1 Cor.7:22,23)

• EntirelyPossible
  • OBVES
    OBVES

You learn from the Bible and true christian servants who is God Yahweh not from Egyptian mithology or other writings of this nature.

God Yahweh is not a man ! He is filling up the whole universe and the food you eat and enjoy any form of living is thanks to Him.

You have not the slighest idea who is God Yahweh the Bible is speaking about.

Every raindrop you see is God's work and He knows each one and directs it .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit