KS woman needs organ transplant. KS will pay for her to do it in NE

by loosie 2 Replies latest watchtower medical

• loosie
    loosie

I saw this article on our local news website today. This woman is a JW and she needs a new liver, hers has cirrhosis. She has medicaid. In Kansas no doctor is willing to perform an organ transplant w/o blood. She went to court to get the state of KS to pay for her surgery in NE where doctor's are willing to do a transplant w/o blood.

I bet this makes them feel even more special.

http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=17723&format=html

Kansas health officials say the state will drop its objections to allowing a woman to have a bloodless liver transplant in Nebraska.

Mary Stinemetz of Hill City is seeking the transplant because she says her Jehovah's Witness religion forbids blood transfusions.

Medicaid will pay the costs of the operation. Andrew Allison, executive director of The Kansas Health Policy Authority, said Wednesday that it authority will not appeal a court ruling ordering it to grant Stinemetz's request to have the transplant in Nebraska.

The authority had objected to having the Kansas Medicaid fund pay for a procedure performed in Nebraska.

The Kansas City Star reports that Stinemetz suffers from primary biliary cirrhosis, which causes the liver to deteriorate.

No hospitals in Kansas perform bloodless transplants

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Loosie,your link isn't to the KC Star article.

Here is a good link to the article.

• loosie
    loosie

KU med center is a very good hospital. They saved my husbands life last month, by removing an apple sized tumor from his brain. I told them if blood was needed go for it, just bring my husband out alive.

I have never heard of any state paying for surgery in another state.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit