Expressing love in a positive way compared to JW "TRUTH"

by Terry 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

September 21, 1897 edition of the New York SUN carried a famous letter to the editor written by a little 8 year old girl, Virginia O'Hanlon.

The little girl had been told by her friends that Santa Claus was a myth and she wanted to know the truth of the matter.

At first Virginia went directly to her father who she trusted to give her honest answers. After all, he was a respected doctor!

Her father sidestepped adroitly by telling her to write her letter asking the editor of the newspaper, THE SUN, because of his reputation

as printing what was true.

One of the newspaper's editors was a war correspondent during the Civil War named Francis Church.

The letter was printed in THE SUN and remain after a century the most reprinted editorial in the history of newspapers!

The actual written response was sent as a letter from Church to O'Hanlon and has been estimated (on Antiques Roadshow) as worth $20-30 thousand dollars as a collector's item.

Virginia died on May 13, 1971 in a nursing home. She had a Master's degree and Doctorate as an educator.

The famous Macy's department store partnered with the Make-A-Wish-Foundation to raise money for terminally ill children to grant their dying wishes based, as they have stated, "on positive beliefs articulated in the September 21,1897 editorial "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus."

Over a million letters (mailed by dying children to Santa) were collected and forwarded to the foundation along with a matching $1 million dollars to the Make-a-Wish-Foundation.

____As a sidebar: There was a real Nicholas who lived in the late 200s and early 300s in what is now Turkey. While Nicholas was young, his wealthy parents, who were devout Christians, died in an epidemic. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his considerable inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering -- especially the children. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Compare the above positive affirmations written to an 8 year old child and the subsequent charitable works in granting children their dying requests to the handling of the whole issue of Christmas, Santa Claus and attitude of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Appeared in The Watchtower December 15, 2000

In Latin America, the three wise men replace the idea of Santa Claus. Still, as is done in other lands, many parents hide toys in the home. Then on the morning of January 6, the children look for them, as if the three wise men brought them. This is a money-making time for toy sellers, and some have made a fortune on what many honest-hearted people recognize is just a fantasy. The myth of the three wise men is losing credibility among a goodly number, even among little children. Though some are displeased that this myth is losing believers, what can anyone expect of a fantasy maintained only for the sake of tradition and for commercial convenience?

Watchtower December 15, 2000.

Pope Paul VI “began the tradition of setting up [in St. Peter’s Square, Rome] a massive Christmas tree” near the Nativity scene.

Do you find it acceptable that a religious leader would give a seemingly Christian meaning to events and symbols whose roots go back to ancient paganism? As to the proper course, the Scriptures admonish true Christians: “What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness?”— 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 .

Watchtower December 15, 2007

The above Watchtower "truth" results in what positivegood to anybody as compared to the efforts of non-JW's?

Which attitude and believe contains love and charity?

________Compare________________________________________________________________________________________________________

John 13:35 (The Message)

34-35 "Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other."

• sabastious
    sabastious

That was a cool editorial! I feel much the same way as the writer of it. If we kill imagination off then new ideas will go with it.

-Sab

• Terry
    Terry

The writer of the response, Frank Church, had seen the grave disillusionment which followed the death and destruction of our Civil War.

Despair had settled in throughout America. 56,000 soldiers died in prison. In four years there were 365,000 total dead 275,200 wounded, 72,524 killed in action.

Editor Church clearly answered in the way he did to a child who lived among peers who had lost the ability to believe in fantasy, myth and wonder.

It is clear from his language that he framed his answer in terms of conceptual "truth" rather than literal truth.

The public's response to his reply to the small child was a tidal wave of support, affirmation and positive goodwill.

The purpose of my posting this topic is, basically, to ask the question: WHAT IF THE WATCHTOWER of today were publicly answering Virginia in the same conditions as post Civil War?

Does giving the factual answer to a child result in the same outpouring of goodwill?

There is no way we can say for sure, is there?

But, my heart is with the brightness of the result as as sure indication it was the right way to go.

• designs
    designs

Mr. Church clearly trusted in children, something we never got from the GB or the Magazines.

• Terry
    Terry

Mr. Church clearly trusted in children, something we never got from the GB or the Magazines.

The Watchtower doesn't believe in or promote "human goodness and decency".

We can see the result in the children they raise and all the negative and cynical tensions between parents and their kids.

My best friend for 50 years (former best friend) had 5 children and all of them have been disfellowshipped more than once!

He reared them very strictly in "The Truth."

The cynical truth, it should be called. Just look at the fruits it bears.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

To tell you the truth. Growing up in the JW cult I saw how loving and positive Xmas was on the kids in school around me. They were all happy and looking forward to being with their family and having fun. Were in the cult all they talk about was hating everybody and waiting for God to kill everbody. Oh yeah go out in field service on Xmas day to give them real good news. SICK! SICK! SICK! At almost 57 my wife keeps telling me I have to learn to be a child again because it was stolen from me as a child. The WT answer to Virginia would scared her to death leaving her crying and shaking. You will never see that kind of kindness in the JW cult. Totally ADD

• Elgiard
    Elgiard

So he lied to the little girl. Not cool.

• designs
    designs

The point is he knew kids grow up and sort life out, kids have imaginary friends, kids are kids. Now when super negative surroundings accompany our young lives then we need help to kick start and recover lost years.

I say fly a kite this weekend, summersalt down a grassy hill, or run on the beach.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The cynical truth, it should be called. Just look at the fruits it bears.

Were in the cult all they talk about was hating everybody and waiting for God to kill everybody.

Yes what a sick way to bring up a child, tell them all the ones they know and meet at school are all going to die soon

and that should hate and disrespect those ones also. I felt that sickness myself growing up as JW child.

• dgp
    dgp

The little girl eventually knew the truth, when she was old enough to understand there was no Santa, but, also -and this is crucial- why she had been lied to. She understood her parents didn't want to break her hear when she was not capable of facing reality. They didn't prevent her from finding out what the truth was later.

There is one song in Spanish and it tells the story of a girl who asks her father to swear he will never die. The man says, "I'll be with you toda la vida". "Toda la vida", literally, means "my entire life"; but it is often used to mean "forever". The father did mislead the girl, but, was he a bad man?

One time, I read a book by a great Latin American thinker whose name is execrated now. The man was a strong, bitter atheist, yet he said that religion prospered under Communism because there were some aspects of human life whose voids mere thought just would never fill. For example, he said, what can Communism, with all its rationality (and evil) offer to the man whose dear son just died? Plainly put, nothing.

When my grandfather, a lifelong Communist, was dying, a liberation theologian friend of his asked him to confess and gave him communion. Probably the first time the man had done that in many decades. He said he had done it so that his wife and daughters wouldn't think that he'd be sent to hell. I had the feeling that he was weak at that particular moment, and that he did it "just in case". I think it would have been extremely wrong of me to point this out.

The lie this girl was told, and the false belief she was made to believe, didn't prevent her from growing up as a full human being and from discovering the truth. Is that what the Watchtower does?

I think everyone should know the truth, but, wouldn't you understand if someone refused to give up false beliefs because that's how life becomes bearable? It is different if you prevent someone else from seeing the truth, just so you can control them.

Thanks for the post, Terry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit