Who pays for this?

by sizemik 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sizemik
    sizemik

The precedent set here will mean a criminal record and a fine and/or other penalties for the legal caregiver of any JW minor who suffers injury or dies through not receiving blood. With over 200,000 witnesses in Russia, this could become a regular occurrance.

Any loss of life as a result of this misguided belief should indeed be punished or deterred by law.

But I just wonder . . . who will meet the cost for these ones?

Russian court sentences Jehovah’s Witness for resisting treatment of son

Published: 02 February, 2011, 15:15 A Russian court has fined a woman for rejecting doctors’ advice to allow her five-year-old son to have a blood transfusion. Her decision resulted in the boy’s death in hospital. The verdict is the first such precedent in the country.

The Church of Jehovah’s Witness strictly forbids blood transfusion believing it to be sinful, and doctors cannot carry out the procedure without a patient’s consent. Many parents who are Jehovah’s Witnesses will also not let their children undergo blood transfusions. In some cases a court may override parental rejection, but that is not possible in emergencies.

Such was the case of Natalya Podlozhevich and her son in Russia’s Khanty-Mansi region in the Urals. In February 2010, the boy was taken to hospital in critical condition and required a blood transfusion. Natalya did not give her permission even after doctors explained that her refusal would put the child’s life in danger. Without proper treatment, the boy died two days later.

The prosecutor’s office opened a case against the mother for leaving a dependent person in danger. On Wednesday, a city court found her guilty and she was ordered to pay a fine. It is the first sentence in such a case and it will set precedent for future trials, a spokesperson for the prosecution said.

A similar case involving the death of a child of a Jehovah’s Witness is currently being investigated in Moscow.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Just watch the literature.

Before long these sad cases will be listed as triumphs of faithful Witnesses holding fast to their faith and enduring under persecution.

• faundy
    faundy

Chariklo- for someone who was never even baptised, you show understanding akin to someone who was raised a Witness.

Are you male or female, btw? I can't decide!

I found the article interesting, although I'd also be intrigued to know if blood would certainly have saved his life. And what about all the apparent alternatives that the blood card states? Would these not have been sufficient?

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I'd also be intrigued to know if blood would certainly have saved his life.

It would appear from the case that this is not even considered. Refusal of a blood transfusion prior to death or injury will be prosecuted regardless. The charge is one of "placing a dependent in danger"

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Faundy,

Chariklo- for someone who was never even baptised, you show understanding akin to someone who was raised a Witness.

Thanks

Are you male or female, btw? I can't decide!

I love it that people think I'm a bloke, but I did own up in this thread here

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/210809/1/Which-posters-are-male-and-which-are-female-Am-I-getting-it-wrong

Yes, I'm a woman.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

PS

I meant to say, in respect of my understanding (see above) that my experience, though shorter than most, was intense. Said with feeling!

• wobble
    wobble

I do hope this attitude spreads to other countries and their judiciary, no parent has the right to endanger their child's life, or to take decisions for them that if the child were an informed adult they would probably not agree with.

Let the child live, grow up, and then he/she can decide such things, in between the parent has a responsibility to protect the child.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Given that the blood doctrine is no part of the New Testament, and is merely a creation of the WT to keep the cult members differentiated from the rest of the world and loyal to the GB by sacrificing their freedom of mind to slavish obedience...given all that, the parents could well be seen as incapable of properly caring for their children.

The children are therefore at risk, which they are.

Denying a dying child a blood transfusion is serious abuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit