Video of my grandson's 8th Grade Band - Indiana Jones

by FlyingHighNow 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This is a clip I made of the Jenison Jr. High 8th grade band performing at their Spring Concert. This is part of a medley of Indiana Jones themes from the film series. The Jenison Band program draws great support from the boosters, parents, community and faculty and wins awards from 6th grade on up through high school. They compete and place very well in festivals and competitions all the way up to the national levels. My grandson Julian plays trumpet and is part of this performance.

I am sharing this because it impresses me what kids can do when people believe in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpVZ01ddIU

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This is Julian with the director Mrs. A. Gembis:

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

After the concert. The second he has shed his dress shoes and is waiting with his trumpet by my old Talon. He is 5'11" now and still growing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

If you like this, give a comment. I'll show it to him later after a few comments have accumulated. Julian didn't have such a good school year, but in band he excelled. All three directors love him.

• snowbird
    snowbird

They sounded good.

Julian is a handsome lad.

Syl

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, Sylvia. I have another recording of a full song they did at festival last year. It's very good, but I need to make a video for it as it is only audio. These directors are amazing. The 6th graders got a standing ovation at this concert. They just blew us all away to play as well as they did after only one year of band.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Julian will do just fine.

My youngest g'son (15) has to attend summer school this year.

He piddled around, then tried to make a hurried dash to the finish, but it was too late.

Boys are sooooooo different from girls!

Syl

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, Sylvia for the encouragement. He has been with me five years and is going to live with his mother again. It's a bittersweet moment for us both. He wants to change his mind, but she is set in this plan. I'm going to have my second empty nest.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Music is a form of mathmatics and art, and teaches dedication. Reading and playing music is pure joy, and it keeps one's mind sharp forever and ever. I hope your grandson continues in his musical endeavors. Everyone forgets calculus, but you'll never forget how to read, play, and enjoy music. Perhaps one day he will be a music teacher? The best teachers are the ones who struggled as students. They know how to encourage.

Skeeter

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Skeeter, thank you. He would make a great Band Instructor. He takes a real leadership role in band.

This is what the conductor you see, Mrs. Gembis had to say to me when she found out that Julian is moving away:

Well, thank you for all of your support. All 3 of us directors will really miss him next year. We just love his personality and think he has such great musical potential! Julian told me that he is going to try band in his new school, and I sure hope he does. I hope to hear from him about how next year goes for him. Thanks again!

Anne Gembis

The picture you see of her with Julian: she told Julian that when she received my e-mail about him leaving that she immediately called the other two band directors and told them. She told him, "We are so bummed. We will misss you so much. Please promise to look into band at your new high school."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit