According to the WT the word GB is in the Bible!

by TotallyADD 9 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Before I left for good I was the PO and went to KM school for PO's in 2009 at Patterson. On the very first day class the instructor told us the word GB is Biblicial. He told us to turn to (Heb 13:17) NWT reference bible which said "Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among YOU* and be submissive" using the asterisk next to YOU he referred to the footnote at the bottom of the page. There on verse 17 it said "Or, "are governors of you" Greek, he gou me'nois hy mon' See Mt 2:6 ftn, "Governors." Our instructor goes on to say "see the use of the word GB is in the Bible. Afterward I keep reading this verse saying to myself this is the scripture we use to the R&F to listen to the elders. Then I think does that mean all elders are on the GB. That was the first time I have seen the WT twist a will know verse to support the word GB. Remember I was waking up about the WT at this time. So according to the WT the word GB is in the Bible. Am I missing something here? Totally ADD

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Your not. Your observation makes it glaringly obvious that they have to claw at any verse they can to find support for their claims.

The way the GB makes decisions doesn't even come close to the example at Acts. Not only the Apostles participated and openly discussed the subject, but the local elders did so as well, considering this was mostly a local phenomenon. It did serve for the whole christian congregation, but ultimately, how can you compare a close-door decision making policy, to what the Apostles and elders did at Acts?

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

OMG grasping at straws! "Governors of you" does not in any way equate with the Governing Body the way the WTBTS means it. Governing Body is a LEGAL TERM, not a spiritual one. Other religions besides JW's have a Governing Body.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm just about done with a long essay on this topic. I expect to post it tonight or tomorrow.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

To enforce a heirachial level of oversight is against God's nature. God was against the request for kings in Israel, so no different two millennia ago or now. The use of "Governor" to support a heirachical structure is stretch as nowhere can evidence be found in the bible to support it. If God wanted an organization for a universal church then it would leap out at you from the bible and would be seen early in its origins in Paul's letters, clearly structured in Acts and scriptually supported by the time the Gospels were written, which were amongst the last.

One of the oldest meanings of the word is, interestingly, "Tutor". This would fully harmonize with the rest of the bible where Jesus is spoken of as a teacher, the Law as a tutor leading to Christ, etc. The notion of a governor in a 1st century congregation would be a man or a woman (a governess) who is simply leading a Christ-like life. Being submissive to them did not mean to fall under their authority or control, but rather be humble and compliant to God and Jesus, (NOT humans) by copying their example which would benefit all in association with them, show love for their God and his son and be evidenced by the good they did for one another and their neighbours.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Even if the term 'governors' were in this verse, that says nothing about the existence of a governing body. I'm still new at Greek, but I do know that in English, governors are RULERS. And Jesus specifically said that "all you are brothers", that 'the rulers of the nations' wield their authority, but that such was NOT to be the case amongst his followers. Have yet to see the Governing Body wash anyone's feet, be it literally or otherwise.

--sd-7

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

@sd-7

What you're failing to realize is in JWland, when Jesus said 'all you are brothers', he meant 'all you are brothers, whereas the other sheep are the dirt under your feet to boss around as you see fit.'

• sd-7
    sd-7

Oh! Forgive my confusion.

--sd-7

• blondie
    blondie

The phrase "governing body" does not occur once in the NWT, not even as a footnote.

I checked the hard copy and the WT-CD.

Acts 20:30 said that people would rise up in the congregation to speak twisted things...sounds like he's twisting.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

As previously stated:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit