The difference between "Respect" and "Servile"

by LongHairGal 6 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I always felt that many people don't quite know exactly what these words mean and how there is a difference between the two of them. They are not the same.

Looking in the dictionary: the word "respect" means to consider worthy of high regard and to esteem. It does not imply that the person doing the respecting doesn't have any respect or esteem for himself/herself. There are those who are respected in the sense they have a worldly title and there is the respect people would have for something or someone because it has proven to be worthy of being esteemed.

Respect is something I give to the authorities. Respect is something I give to my employer, since he is paying me.

Now let's take the word "servile" or "servility": the dictionary says: of or befitting a slave or a menial position: meanly or cravenly submissive: abject. WELL, what does the religion crave from people? Respect or Servility? I think most everybody on this forum would have to agree they are looking for "servility" or something very close to it.

Servility, however, is something I give to no one. In this day and age and in the western world I don't think too many people in their right minds are going to give servility to any would-be dictator, despot or power-tripping delusional unless they were compelled at gunpoint.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Well put.

• talesin
    talesin

How I see it:

Respect is earned, and is a two-way street.

example: I may work for an employer, and give him/her their money's worth, but I don't necessarily respect them.

(esp. nowadays, in this economy, work may be no more than a means to an end. ie, I need to eat, therefore I must work for this person I do NOT respect)

Servility is giving someone power-over. That only happens (for me) in the example below.

example: I am servile to my cat (ie, dogs have masters, cats have slaves)

tal

• caliber
    caliber

I believe this man would understand your point very well..

A free life cannot acquire many possessions, because this is not easy to do without servility to mobs or monarchs...

Epictetus quotes (Greek philosopher associated with the Stoics, AD 55-c.135)

• talesin
    talesin

@ caliber -- I like!

t

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Great point! I don't give either to WBTS

• Gayle
    Gayle

LHG,,very good on that difference,,

I can genuinely give respect to ones that are respectful to others and respectable.

The GB respect no one outside of their circle. If ones, inside and outside the organization, are not 'servile' to them, they will soon be destroyed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit