Just a few questions...anyone got answers?

by anniegirl76 9 Replies latest jw friends

• anniegirl76
    anniegirl76

I was a born in, spent 22 years of my life inside it. I still don't know what the "1975" thing is everyone is talking about, is the change over from one man making all the decisions to a group, for the JW?..next...where does all the information everybody has come from? library? internet and if so what sites?...and last..how do you explain what an actual "apostate" is, when they start calling you one? If any JW actually looked up the term apostate in the dictionary, they might be slightly surprised that JW's DID NOT invent the term. Would love opinions, answers, or even more questions....

annie

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is a good source of info, on this very site

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/best-of

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Some of the most damning information about 1975 comes from Awake! magazines in the late '60s. If you look on your Watchtower Library CD-ROM, you'll notice Awake! only goes back to 1970, while Watchtower goes back to 1950. Changes to the "Truth" book attempt to hide things said about 1975, too. But there are still many things on the CD-ROM about 1975 you can look up for yourself. Here's a good resource for finding some.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I got most of my information from the internet and the study materials of the WTBS themselves. I evaluate internet sources based on their credibility. If the article is balanced, avoids rhetoric, and quotes sources, I count it as fairly reliable.

www.freeminds.org is good.

www.jwfacts.com too.

About 1975, http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/chronology/1975-and-the-watchower-society-false-prophesy-and-revisionist-history.html

I was never a JW, and I've remained in the religion of my choice. So I am not apostate by any definition. Yet, dgeggnog called me an apostate after debating with me a little bit. In the JW lexicon, the worst I might be called in an "opposer". How often would you say apostates are brought up in WT literature? My guess is at least two times a year. In my thirty year history as a Christian, I can only think of a one or two instances where "apostates" were discussed from the pulpit.

Ooga booga.

• moshe
    moshe

I'm Jewish- for me,if I take the narrow view, JWs are apostates from Judaism. It's a useless label.

Use the seach feature at the top to look up past discussions and you will find answers to most of your questions. Call up Charles Sinutko (75 yrs old) in Desert Hot Springs, Ca and ask him about 1975. He was the WT Society overseer who gave the assembly talk in 1969 that proclaimed- "Stay alive until 1975"- mighty fine advice for JWs, until 1976 arrived. ( that talk can usually be found in the internet).

• jgnat
    jgnat

For current Jehovah's Witnesses who would write off the 1975 incident as ancient history. I might point out that the society hasn't learned from their mistakes. These days, they decry college education, condemning this next generation of youth to constrained careers, wasted potential, and the poverty that goes with it. Who will speak for them in ten years? Will the society apologize?

Studies of Witnesses compared to other religious groups have noted that the Jehovah's Witnesses do have lower incomes.

www.barna.org

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

What apostate term means and what it means to witnesses are two different things and obviously the actions differ. As for the things we discuss about wts, these come from wts' own publications. It's just a matter of finding the information you need and if you need info on 1975, you can search it and if you can't find something you're looking for, then ask and someone will give you quotes and references to wts' own publications.
    1975 was the latest false hope, false prophesy by the watchtower but there are others from earlier times. It appears you're not acquainted with watchtower's history so you may want to check out it's origins with Russell's dates like 1799, 1874, 1878, 1914 and for good laugh investigate 1925 and beth sarim. Here is a site with old wts publications you most likely won't find at your local Kingdom Hall library

http://www.archive.org/details/WatchTowerBibleandTractSocietyofPennsylvaniaWatchTowerpubs_0

• Terry
    Terry

Remember High School?

Remember those snotty kids that hung together and made fun of anybody who wasn't in their tight little circle?

That is Jehovah's Witnesses.

It is a snot-nosed, I'm-better-than-everybody club.

If you were ever a part of it then you were superior to anybody and everybody who wasn't.

Once you leave or get kicked out you know their secrets and their weaknesses.

Guess how mad and vulnerable that makes them??

To keep you from telling their secrets and exposing their pettiness they attack your reputation to others.

If they make you out to be the liar and the betrayer nobody else will BELIEVE you.

Get it?

Petty strategy.

An APOSTATE is a nasty sounding name. It is a "kick me" sign they stick on your back. You become an object of ridicule.

Yes, it is that simple-minded!

1975 is very easy to explain.

Once upon a time a men's clothing store owner's son started his own religion.

His idea was to predict the return of Jesus to take him and any who followed him to heaven.

If you didn't go along with this you'd be killed and birds would eat what was left of you.

Simple?

Using a chart of the Great Pyramid this fellow(named Russell) made 1914 the end of everything for everybody but his guys.

Luckily (and UNluckily) 1914 only brought WWI.

61 years later one of Russell's true believers simply tried the whole thing all over again.

Easy, huh?

This time, no Great Pyramid chart, just a bogus chronology by a nut-job named Freddy (Franz).

No World War happend in 1975 to hang a "win" upon this time. No. It was quiet and UNeventful.

Soooooooo...

This very wrong and embarassed religion pretended the whole thing NEVER HAPPENED or, if it did, it is very UNIMPORTANT!

If you disagree they put that "kick me" sign on your back and laugh at you and call you nasty names.

Like I said, HIGH SCHOOL.

• anniegirl76
    anniegirl76

Thank you everyone, oddly enough I was never in the "in" crowd...at school or at a KH. I followed what my mother wanted me to do, so yes 22 yrs of being one of the herd, I didn't learn all of this, I also wasn't born till 76. You are all so awesome, thank you!

• Mickey mouse

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit