JW'S NOT TAXED......

by ladonna 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ladonna
    ladonna

I don't know about the rest of you here, although I have a fairly good idea, but the idea that the WTBTS can crawl it's way out of paying any taxes really makes me feel ......

ARTICLES OF AMENDMENT OF
    Pantano Congregation of Jehovah's
    Witnesses, Tucson, AZ, Inc.
    1. The name of the corporation is Pantano Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, Tucson, AZ, Inc.
    2. Attached hereto as Exhibit A is the text of each amendment adopted.
    3. The amendment was adopted the 22 day of November, 2001.
    4. The amendment was duly adopted by act () of the members (x) board of directors. () And with approval, in writing, by the person or persons so specified in the corporation's Articles of Incorporation or bylaws.
    5. The membership has no voting rights on this amendment.
    Dated as of this 22 day of November, 2001.
    Witnesses, Tucson, AZ, Inc.
    By s/Ralph E. Johnson
    Secretary/Statutory Agent
    ARTICLES OF AMENDMENT OF
    Witnesses, Tucson, AZ Inc.
    7217 E. Sylvane Drive Tucson, AZ 85710
    November 22, 2001
    EXHIBIT A
    Article III. (There is no change to existing Article, but will be amendment with the addition of the following):
    The property of this Corporation is irrevocably dedicated to religious purposes, and no part of the net earnings or assets of this Corporation shall inure to the benefit of a director, officer, or member of the Corporation or any private individual. No substantial part of the activities of this Corporation shall consist of the carrying on of propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, nor shall this Corporation participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office. This Corporation is organized exclusively for religious purposes within the meaning of Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3). Notwithstanding any other provisions of these Articles, the Corporation shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on (1) by a corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (or the corresponding provision of any future United States tax code) or (2) by a corporation, contributions to which are deductible under Section 170(c)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (or the corresponding provision of any future United States tax code).
    Upon the winding up and dissolution of this Corporation, after paying or adequately providing for any debts and obligations of the Corporation, the remaining assets shall be distributed to Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. No assets will be deemed to be received by Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., until such acceptance is evidenced in writing. If Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., is not then in existence and exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (or the corresponding provision of any future United States tax code), then said assets shall be distributed to any organization designated by the ecclesiastical Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses that is organized and operated for religious purposes and is a corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (or the corresponding section of any future United States tax code).
    Signed by:
    s/Thomas M. Edwards - Pres.
    s/Don E. French - Vice-Pres.
    s/Ralph E. Johnson - Secretary
    Publish February 4, 5, and 6, 2002
    Tucson Citizen
    http://www.bigdealclassifieds.com/classified/plsql/class3?wClass=0919&wPubdate=Today

Ana

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

get over it

• lydia
    lydia

Ana,

Unfortunatly here in the USA - that is a common practice for the churches...no taxes...a good way for most to make some money to pay the court cases for child abuse...
    The basis o it was good I think.. but the concept has gotten out of hand..there are so many court cases against them..I think that they should pull that staus if they have had 1 case of abuse in the congregation that was "proven"..just my thought.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Ladonna:

Religions in general not paying tax (because of their charitable status) is founded on the principle that religion enhances society and culture.

Personally I think it's a crappy principle. I can see how historical religious buildings and manuscripts etc are culturally significant, but these should be administered by the state, imo. Religions themselves are useless vestiges of a superstitious past.

However, perhaps there is a weak link in the WT's armour here. After all, how do they enhance society?

From the UK charity commission:

19. In general, no distinction is made between one religion and another. There is a general assumption that the advancement of religion is for the public benefit. For the advancement of religion to be charitable, a religion has to:

be founded on a belief in a supreme being or beings; and

involve expression of that belief through worship.

20. The advancement of religion can include the provision and upkeep of places of worship, paying ministers or priests, and holding services.

21. In some cases the advancement of religion is not charitable. This is where public benefit is clearly lacking. Examples of this include:

organisations where the benefit is wholly private (such as an entirely enclosed religious order where the activities consist only of private prayer); and

where an organisation is set up to promote the beliefs of a particular religion which undermine the accepted foundations of religion and morality, or are otherwise contrary to the public interest.

Expatbrit

Ref: http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/publications/cc21.asp#11

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva
    Upon the winding up and dissolution of this Corporation, after paying or adequately providing for any debts and obligations of the Corporation, the remaining assets shall be distributed to Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. No assets will be deemed to be received by Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., until such acceptance is evidenced in writing. If Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., is not then in existence and exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (or the corresponding provision of any future United States tax code), then said assets shall be distributed to any organization designated by the ecclesiastical Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses that is organized and operated for religious purposes and is a corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (or the corresponding section of any future United States tax code).

Let's not miss the point. 1) The Watchtower / Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses / Vinnie's QuikPropecy Corp. effectively owns tens of thousands of Kingdom Halls without any of the burdens of upkeep; 2) The Governing Body is not really separated from running the corporation. So with a few dozen of these corporate charters, even without the template that they so obviously come from, there is enough evidence to tie the Society and its GB into any lawsuits that they try to force down to the congregation level, IMO.

Bodhisattva

• VM44
    VM44

I noticed the inclusion of this language in order to avoid taxation:

"...The property of this Corporation is irrevocably dedicated to religious purposes, and no part of the net earnings or assets of this Corporation shall inure to the benefit of a director, officer, or member of the Corporation or any private individual...."

From the deed to the San Diego property known as "Beth Sarim":

"...TO HAVE AND TO HOLD THE ABOVE GRANTED AND DESCRIBED PREMISES unto him, the said Joseph F. Rutherford for his exclusive possession, and benefit for and during his life on earth and at the end of said limited estate then to the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society..."

OK, Can somebody tell me how Rutherford and the Watchtower got out of paying taxes on Beth Sarim?

--VM44 (tax paying class!)

• ladonna
    ladonna

Expat,

Thanks for the information and the link you provided, but it has been a long time for me since I was in the WTBTS.

Way back then, the JW's did not consider themselves a "religion" so to speak.
    Has this changed???

Therein lies the confusion.....they are a religion when it financially suits their corporation, and are NOT a religion when asked by outsiders.

Ana

Thanking all who replied, I agree with all the comments made.

Just the damned hypocrisy!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit