Official position on Salvation

by tiotuerto 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tiotuerto
    tiotuerto

I became interested in JWs about a year ago due to the favorable and believable answers to several questions that I had. However there were a couple of others that were never clearly answered and I have since discovered a noticable reluctance on the part of WT elders to discuss. Perhaps there is someone out there that can set me straight on the official position of the organization on this particular point.

Question: Is it officially true that to have a chance at eternal life here on paradise earth one must be a (1) baptized and (2) official member of a congregation of the Jehova's Witnesses and that no others outside the JWs can hope to attain salvation.

This seems to be the predominate assumption in most of the teachings I have so far encountered. Appreciate any feedback from either side of the issue.

T.

• bennyk
    bennyk

(Hope this helps):
      "Only Jehovah's Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil." Watchtower 01. Sep. 1989 p.19
      "Similarly, Jehovah is using only one organization today to accomplish his will. To receive everlasting life in the earthly Paradise we must identify that organization and serve God as part of it." Watchtower 15. Feb. 1983 p.12
      "During the final period of the 'ancient world' that perished in the Flood, Noah was a faithful 'preacher of righteousness.' (2 Peter 2:5) In these last days of the present system of things, Jehovah's people are making known God's righteous standards and are declaring good news about the possibility of surviving into the new world. (2 Peter 3:9-13) Just as Noah and his God-fearing family were preserved in the ark, survival of individuals today depends on their faith and their loyal association with the earthly part of Jehovah's universal organization." Watchtower 15. May 2006 p.22
      "But if we were to draw away from Jehovah's organization, there would be no place else to go for salvation and true joy." (Watchtower 15. Sep. p.22)
  • pirata
  • tiotuerto
    tiotuerto

Maybe I'm mistaken but I always though the whole issue of salvation was a personal one, between our creator and ourself as individuals. Worship and study in groups is one thing but to subscribe allegence to a man-created group for our personal salvation seems a little risky, in the light of what we have accomplished so far a sentient race. We have the natural inclination for corruption and excellent spiritual leadership in that regard and we think a likewise man-created organization will get us out of this mess? I hardly think so!Any more than I believe the U.N. will bring world peace one day. Grow a brain (JWs)

• pirata
    pirata

Just be aware that if you voiced the same thoughts as a baptized witness, the Elders would try help you to "correct" your thinking, but if you "stubbornly" refuse to accept their correction, you could be disfellowshipped for disrupting unity or for apostasy.

Worship and study in groups is one thing

That is not encouraged among Jehovah's Witnesses (apart from the Family worship which is supposed to be small in size):

*** km 9/07 p. 3 Question Box ***
    Question Box ? Does “the faithful and discreet slave” endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?—Matt. 24:45, 47.

No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation. Others explore scientific subjects related to the Bible. They have created Web sites and chat rooms for the purpose of exchanging and debating their views. They have also held conferences and produced publications to present their findings and to supplement what is provided at our Christian meetings and through our literature.
    Throughout the earth, Jehovah’s people are receiving ample spiritual instruction and encouragement at congregation meetings, assemblies, and conventions, as well as through the publications of Jehovah’s organization. Under the guidance of his holy spirit and on the basis of his Word of truth, Jehovah provides what is needed so that all of
    God’s people may be “fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought” and remain “stabilized in the faith.” (1 Cor. 1:10; Col. 2:6, 7) Surely we are grateful for Jehovah’s spiritual provisions in these last days. Thus, “the faithful and discreet slave” does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight. —Matt. 24:45-47.
    It is commendable for individuals to want to use their thinking ability in support of the good news. However, no personal pursuit should detract from what Jesus Christ is accomplishing through his congregation on earth today. In the first century, the apostle Paul warned about getting involved in exhausting, time-consuming subjects, such as “genealogies, which end up in nothing, but which furnish questions for research rather than a dispensing of anything by God in connection with faith.” (1 Tim. 1:3-7) All Christians should strive to “shun foolish questionings and genealogies and strife and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile.”—Titus 3:9.
    For those who wish to do extra Bible study and research, we recommend that they explore Insight on the Scriptures, “All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial,” and our other publications, such as those that discuss the prophecies found in the Bible books of Daniel, Isaiah, and Revelation. These provide abundant material for Bible study and meditation, whereby we can be “filled with the accurate knowledge of [God’s] will in all wisdom and spiritual comprehension, in order to walk worthily of Jehovah to the end of fully pleasing him as [we] go on bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the accurate knowledge of God.”—Col. 1:9, 10.

• tiotuerto
    tiotuerto

In stating "worship and study in groups' I as thinking more on the lines of congregations rather than private groups. The point being that, to each of us its"my personal salvation I'm concerned with" since we cannot actually experience any one elses or any other groups personal concerns.

T.

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

" are receiving ample spiritual instruction and encouragement at congregation meetings, assemblies, and conventions, as well as through the publications of Jehovah’s organization. "

Yeah, sure. ONE-SIDED instruction. "Working for the Obama campaign, you'll be amply instructed on how politics REALLY work. There's no need to see what the republicans are doing. They follow their own thoughts and are selfish. Only Obama will save this country and besides, we have people here in Obama's camp who do the investigating for you."

Somehow I think that if this really took place in Obama's campaign offices, he would've lost the battle. You bet your ass he studied BOTH sides of every bill, every law, every move the Reds made.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit