Conversation with my JW friend...would like feedback regarding topic.

by the pharmer 7 Replies latest jw friends

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

This is a conversation I had via I.M. with my JW friend. The topic was brought up because of a trumpet and organ recital I was rehearsing for, and the performance was going to be in a Lutheran Church (since we were using their nice pipe organ).

I guess I would like some feedback as to whether or not this JW's answer was an accurate and typical JW answer. I kind of felt like I had to 'pry' a bit just to get the information I did get.

Thanks for any replies.

Me:

I'll be performing in a recital

If you had the opportunity (i.e. you were close enough), do you think you actually would come to hear it?

JW:

Of course!

Me:

Would the fact that it's in a church be an issue?

JW:

lol, no

Me:

Sorry, I know that sounded silly

JW:

No. its a valid question. just caught me off gaurd.

Me:

I thought maybe you would have to go before a judicial committee for stepping foot in a Lutheran church.

JW:

LOL!!

noooooo

Me:

You positive?

You've looked into that?

JW:

ughh.. are you serious?

Me:

Yes...I thought about that at last wednesday's rehearsal

Have you seriously looked into it? Are you 100% certain (no offense, just really made me wonder if it could be an issue)

JW:

Attending another church’s spiritual service is different from going to an event that is located in a church, i believe. dont you?

Me:

I personally don't see why anyone should have any say as to what they go to observe, regardless of the event. ...but I'm sure one could argue that it is a spiritual service in a sense...

It all depends on how those that make the rules define them, right?

So where do they draw the line? I guess that is the question in my mind.

Which then leads to the question, if I decided to become a member of that organization, what would they require me to give up in terms of playing in that church?

Any idea? Have you looked into anything related to this topic?

JW:

I was always told that anything that isn’t clear cut in the bible is a matter of conscience. Everyone will carry their own load after all. There are some things that are clear and definitive, other things not so much. In those instances we have to make our decisions.

Thanks!

Pharmer

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My Uber-Dubs don't have a problem going into churches for non-religious purposes.

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

What if the organist is their regular organist and it is technically his recital, and they decide to say an opening prayer. Maybe even include a religious piece of music or two in the recital? Would that ultimately have any bearing? I didn't feel comfortable pushing the questions to these points with my friend, as I knew they couldn't come anyway due to distance.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

A typical witness wouldn't know if it's OK or not until they researched the subjet in WT publications. Then the article would say that the WT can't answer for them but when in doubt one should abstain...or that you wouldn't want to do anything that could stumble your brothers...in the end a true JW wouldn't attend any event in a church of Babylon the Great...I remember sisters driving a long distance to go to Weight Watchers because they wouldn't go to the local chapter because they met in the basement of a church...

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

Let's say my friend wouldn't have a problem personally stepping foot in the church to attend a concert/recital, could it still be grounds for having to appear in front of a JC, or does that kind of action vary, depending on the elders/congregation?

• sizemik
    sizemik

I don't know if times have changed . . . but in my very early days I was told by an Elder if I cleaned the windows on the Vicars home (next door to the Church), I would have to explain "my support of BTG" to a JC. A similar warning was issued when I had the opportunity to perform cleaning services at a LDS private school.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

A wise JW simply wouldn't tell another JW that they attended a church to listen to a recital, simply to avoid scutiny.

It's not anyone else's business anyway.

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

Wow. I wonder what 'performance' restrictions I would have as a soloist or a member of a symphony with current standards.

Because of the acoustics and/or pipe organ, performances are often done in religious buildings.

Symphony orchestras often perform religious works in their concerts...some even give concerts with a holiday theme in mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit