Freddy Franz' Unrestrained Mind Control

by Alfred 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alfred
    Alfred

Nowadays, the WT knows that it needs to tread gently when they execute their mind control tactics… modern JWs now have iPhones, Facebook and better access to information in general. So their approach needs to be as subtle as possible…

JWs in the 50’s and 60’s, on the other hand, had nothing but Freddy’s ongoing barrage of guilt-inducing WT articles. Here’s a small sample of what JWs were exposed to during that time…

· “…we shall March forth organized theocratically, knowing organization procedures.” –Watchtower November 1, 1950 page 418

· “…we must gather information other than what this world has brought us up on, thus giving us a certain mental cast or structure.” –Watchtower October 15, 1951 page 620

· “Many psychologists today are likewise instruments of the Devil…” –Watchtower May 15, 1955 page 292

· “… theocratic control and direction is only over dedicated ones.” –Watchtower November 1, 1955 page 666

· “Through taking in accurate knowledge, we change the bent of our mind […] It is a mistake to think that such a transformation can take place apart from the New World Society. Association with it and participation in its activities are absolutely necessary.” - Watchtower February 1, 1958 page 79

· Whining and complaining might mean the loss of a job […] but that complaining will only bring the disfavor of his great employer, Jehovah, the God of production. –Watchtower June 15, 1961

· “Jehovah knows what is going on in every congregation […] the Almighty Sovereign himself is in complete control of his visible organization.” – Watchtower August 1, 1967 page 467

With the vast availability of instant information in the 21 st century (including the WT Library CD), would the WT still be able to retain membership if they continued to use the same unrestrained approach that Freddy used in the 50’s and 60’s? I look forward to your comments… thanks

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

With so much information around, it certainly does make it easier. But that doesn't mean the Witlesses will look at it. Any additional information not presented in the WT will be passed off as a tool by Satan to take them away from the "Truth". Of course, on the flip side, any witness with half a brain will use this readily available information to make their final decisions rather than blindly believing every sentence the GB says.

I do love the instant info though. The reason I questioned further than I already was was because I just stumbles across some info about JW's. Hopefully the same happens to others.... :). Great topic.

• james_woods
    james_woods

People who were there at the time have told me that Knorr was the mind control freak and that Freddy was just making up the crazy doctrine in the background by scrathing nonsense on a blackboard, erasing parts of it, and scratching it again and again in repition.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I will be candid. Maybe my being older is slanting it but there are tons of people with no computers. My budget was very strained after my illness. I only bought my computer to do legal research. Not knowing all the cool things, I had no idea what I was missing. My sister and others assured me I was missing nothing. Many people check their emails once a week, if at all. Acquiring the computer turned me into a computer fanatic. I should say internet addict.

I live in a Mennonite area of PA. Altho their numbers are going down b.c so many Philly move up to escape the blight, they dominate the culture. I swear only six or seven last names exist for counties. Some of them still wear lace caps and very plain dress. You can tell they are serious Mennonites. Their culture is as constrained as the Witnesses. There are more mainstream versions. I frankly don't know how they view each other. I know from NY that many orthodox Jews feel secular Jews are not really Jews.

There are exceptions but the average Witness probably has factors predestining them to succumb to the Witnesses. Nazis acquired power in the most literate country in the world. It is hard from my post war perspective but Germany was the NY of the world. If you did not study in Germany, you were delegated to a low rank in the professions. My relatives were uncomplicated, meek people. The world over many cultures are satisfied to follow as long as they have peace.

I read WTs as I randomly happen upon them. For decades, the WT tone stayed the same. My bro and I would joke about the illustrations and writing. One day I picked it up and it was written in a slighly more modern fashion. It was cosmetic facelifting but it was apparent. The one rule the Witnesses enforce is that the only WTBTS is the only God channel. It takes a very brave or a certain temperament to poke around. I have no idea I would be a Witness if I did not attend public school and during the Cold War. Something about practicing for the A-bomb to fall on us created strong ties to WAshington and secular power. Russia and China were closed, totalitarian states. Military planes were always flying and breaking sound barriers. It scares me but it also made me feel safe. All the Cold War propaganda erased some of the family propaganda.

I was able to walk away and my family accompanied me. Reading the heartbreak on these posts is instructive. Would I have become so utterly worldly if I had to pay a price? Somehow I feel those who leave may have very different family situations than those who choose to stay. Decades ago I called a man who was on Regis show as a JW dissenter. He was rescuing JWs and Armstrong's followers. I asked for help. He told me I had a picnic. His task was to keep people who were physically ill and suicidal from the sundering of ties.

I was raised with much respect for Freddie and little for Knorr. Even after these decades, Freddie has a cherish place in my mind from the brainwashing. My rational mind knows he was responsible for more mayhem then Knorr.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Everything is fine, because now there is Kingdom Control TM in effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vjrq5c7H0M

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

Information readily available will make it harder to control, abuse, and get over on people...BUT they have to be looking...

• Those that are still in will have a harder time finding the "Real Truth" unless something starts making them say in their mind "WTF"!!! ---- "did they just say that or what did they just change'...'why that was something that I was taught and believed all my life'...now it's not "true"???? WTF...NOW they have the power of the internet and can start looking for answers...if they are brave enough to use it.
    • Those that are not in can get the real "truth" easily on the internet without the fear of the "Borg" finding out and punishing them. So it will be harder to control anyone's mind easily...IMO

Although they say if something is working why change?...Only when it stops! I think it has stopped for getting new recruits. So change is in the air.

Sw

• watson
    watson

Kurt! That is a great clip!

• Ding
    Ding

In a way, MORE mind control is needed...

... so much more available to keep JWs from checking out...

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

Lols @ Kurt! Brilliant video. I think if you substitute the word "Kingdom" for "Mind", it'll hit the nail on the head. Hey theres a guy named Jim Jones who had some good ideas.... :)

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

Kurtbethel, that is quite a video! Recently a Jehovah's Witness told me that the door to door work is taking many people into the religion. She was telling me why she thinks the media, such as radio and TV, are probably not used to witness to the public. Apparently the media might be teaching 'meat' material to people who still need 'milk' material, because they might not be listening to the right teachings in the correct sequence. I hope I made sense there. She expressed it better than I am explaining it. Is it true that many people are going into the JW religion due to the door to door preaching work? She is convinced this is the case. Me? I have no idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit