Interesting convo that never was meant to be.....

by Vachi 8 He Is 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

So, I'm being shanghied into going to this "Special Talk" dubs got going on tommorow. And while riding in the car I ask, simply:

"What is the special talk about?"

"It says: Bible principles- Can they help us cope with today's problems?"

Then I ask "Isn't that their stance anyway? That if we just follow the bible people's problems will go away?"

"Well that's just one of many. If people would just follow the bible......"

(At this point I can see the train being derailed because nowhere in that question was I making the point that this was the only stance. Red Herring and Strawman much?)

"I'm not saying that's the only stance, I'm saying that this is something that they tell people over and over."

(Basically trying to get her to see that her lil special talk, the one that I have to be dragged off to, is NOT special at all. You can't sell something for $49.99, 364 days of the year and then on the 365th sell it for $49.99 and call it a special. But I digress, back to the convo. I must have dealt some kind of personal blow because she, right on schedule launches into....)

"You always talkin' 'bout nothing. You need to worry about (some personal problems I'm having).........."(Ad Hominem)

I'm sitting there like WTF? No really............WTF? How did we get here from there? She should have just said "Yes, that is a frequent stance we have." But wow, such fury all because to admit to herself that the special talk is just more of the same would friggin' break her brain? The WTB(S)TS says it's special and dammit, that's just how it is, even though we beat people over the head and spinkle this same message, along with several other ones throughout the year. She doesn't just do this with dub topics either. I can't talk to her because somehow, someway she always steers whatever convo I have with her into personal attacks on me. I mean, I could be talking about Toyota or something and I wish I was lying, but since I'm in a bad way right now (which incidently they helped create) I think she feels that I have no say even when she's dead ass wrong. So when I challenge her belief about something, anything, she can't win the arguement unless she goes down "really old, really fast avenue". And even in this case, we were on the same page when she said "That's just one of many". So the personal attack was not because we didn't agree on this being their stance, no. We got into it because I questioned the validity of this being a special talk?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

They like to feel special, they like having special knowledge and they like special talks.

make them realize they are in fact 'special' in the wrong way

and all they can do is attack you

oz

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Next time, instead of you stating the obvious, try asking questions that corner her into telling you that the talk isn't special, or what ever else the 'big deal' isn't.

If they get stroppy you could try asking if they would behave the same way if their Bible Study or Backcall asked the same question.

If they are offensive, act offended and make them feel guilty for their bad behaviour.

If they use a tactic you have heard them accuse another church of using, ask them if they remember the occasion and/or why it is ok for members of their church not to have to live up to the same standards.

If they make a statement you are sure they can't back up with the paperwork, ask for the paperwork. I did that to one today. They promised to send me some research they quoted, not knowing that they can't because the results of all research in that area doesn't back up their claim. Now they will have to spend hours looking for it and then thinking of how to weasel their way out of having to provide it without making JWs look like idiots.

• alias
    alias

Special Talks, baptism day, tract campaigns, decreased pioneer hours, one-day assemblies, Bethelite & CO visits are the high points to the never-ending treadmill of the JW life.

Expectation postphoned makes the heart sick. The expectation of the new world postponed decade after decade has made many sick. Without these holidays, JWs would struggle even more to survive...

alias

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

Yeah, I mean the high point of the CON-vention is the drama......really? Really? REALLY? These aren't even actors, they're lip syncing to a audio tape. You just sit there and watch them flail their arms about like Power Rangers. I remembered looking forward to visiting one of the outside stands to get a pair of those flip-up binoculars so I could see and one of those mini battery operated fans as if that could help keep me cool from the heat blanketed over the open air Veterans Stadium.

• cult classic
    cult classic
    "You always talkin' 'bout nothing. You need to worry about (some personal problems I'm having).........."(Ad Hominem)

Until God destroys you for not being a witness, I'm gonna knock you down every chance I get. How loving !

You can't sell something for $49.99, 364 days of the year and then on the 365th sell it for $49.99 and call it a special.

I like that.

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

I managed to have an out of body experience by sitting on the end of the seats by the wall and putting one ear bud in the ear she couldn't see so I could listen to my iPod. Disfellowshipping came up in the WT study regurgitation and it was like "We shun ones who have strayed from the truth in hopes that they will recognize their error and come back. This may hurt us in doing so but remembering how jehovah feels will give us strength. Until they come back.....they may as well BE DEAD TO US." This was an actual comment made. Well hell, why stop there? You like okra, I don't and even though I'm not trying to get you to eat it, until I come around to eating it, it's grounds for shunning me. If I drink Nos and you drink Monster, same thing, shun me. Magellan vs. Garmin. Oreos vs. Lance. My wife vs. your wife. Marvel vs. Capcom.......pure segregation at it's best all brought to us by the loving deity who wants us all to get to this paradise, live forever, and pet animals with Me, Myself and Irene grins on our faces. F--k that s--t.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit