Not at Homes

by Bungi Bill 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Do the JWs still emphasize following up on "Not At Homes":

i.e. making "every effort" (or any effort at all) to contact all persons in their "territory"?

This last month, April, was supposed to be a time of extra effort on their part. We did have somebody call here while neither of us was at home, and they did leave a pamphlet under the door - but nobody was back to follow up. (Not that I am complaining!)

Maybe they are just content these days to be able to "count the time", regardless of whether or not they actually get to speak to anybody?

Then again, maybe they knew they were in for a rough time if they did meet somebody (my wife in particular), and were glad to have any excuse to be able to just hit and run!

Bill.

• Simon
    Simon

Funny, they always call at houses when people are least likely to be in - saturday morning, daytime.

The sensible time to call to pass on their ever so vital life saving message would surely be the evening when people get home from work - like when the scouts come to sell popcorn or the girls guides to sell cookies or anyone with half a brain to sell anything else.

Oh, I guess that would interfere with the meetings though ...

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

I tried so hard to get some people together in the evenings. Was not going to happen. It's all about numbers and the vast majority that I saw really didn't want to encounter anyone at the door. A few times, a buddy of mine and I would stay out for a long day and start getting people at home in the mid-afternoons. We'd get so much interest, because these people hadn't seen a Witness in ages. Nobody was interested, because that wasn't the official JW preaching day. I don't understand the mentality of the cult mindset, where every step of their lives is laid out for them and they won't make any adjustments for real-life situations.

Actually, every NH is a 5-minute break. The worst for milking the clock at empty houses I've ever seen are the very Society-worshiping elders I can't stand. The hypocritical whitewashed graves they are; making appearances, making numbers, accomplishing nothing. This is a typical conversation between me and the elder I hate most of all at my Hall:

Me: I don't think anyone lives here. The grass is 2 feet high and the windows are boarded up.

Bro Dillhole: Well, ring the bell.

Me: The bell doesn't work. I pointed out earlier, the power company took the meter. Look.

Bro Dillhole: Well, knock loud. Maybe they're out back.

Me: There is nobody here. A family of raccoons has built a home in the mailbox. Can we go?

Bro Dillhole: Let's give them time to get to the door. Maybe they're elderly.

Me: Didn't Paul say to be at this urgently?

Bro Dillhole: It isn't a race. We have to be sure to reach everyone.

Me: But we can't do that at empty houses. I'm pretty sure the sun-yellowed eviction notice on the door indicates there's nobody here.

Bro Dillhole: Look out. I'll knock if you won't.

Me: (Sigh)

The really sad part is, I'm sure he's under the impression he's "training" me in my ministry.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

WontLeave,

Sadly, it is all about keeping up appearances, and little or nothing about helping people - the very things I used to hear "Christendom" being berated for.

THEN: the realization hits home that - all too often - when you point the finger at somebody, you discover that there are three fingers pointing back at you!

Bill.

• nugget
    nugget

Despite the fact that april was supposed to be such a great month for the preaching work noone worked my street at all. Although I fully expected to be passed over I saw no one calling on anyone else either.

These campaigns make the witnesses feel that they are doing the work with urgency but the effectiveness of their efforts leaves alot to be desired. Many leaflets are left but a miniscule number of people will attend the meeting who were not planning to come already.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I waited all april for them

i am at home 6 days a week and both days of every weekend at that.

i had stuff i wanted to talk about but still nobody came.

the only time i saw them was as i passed thru a little town nearby and saw 3 wandering from empty house to empty house.

urgency my arse!

oz

• finding my way
    finding my way

lol, I just posted a topic on this. THey were on my street 2 times a week all of April. I had my first post DFing encounter. It felt pretty good actually. I unltimately chose not to discuss anything other than not coming back to my home. then they kept coming to the street... it's been awkward since I feel like they are probably muttering about the apostate living at 951 mailani.. they probably had a whole conversation about me while I was mowing my lawn this morning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit