Distinguishing Characteristic? (Just thinking out loud)

by the pharmer 6 Replies latest jw friends

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

Although this is coming from a recent post on another thread by an individual who claims to be a JW, it is something that I have heard expressed by other JWs.

It is a supposed distinguishing JW characteristic:

…and while they have not always gotten it right the first time, one of the things that distinguish them from other Christian denominations is the fact that they are willing to abandon beliefs when they come to realize that such beliefs are premised on wrong conclusions .

While other Christian denominations seem unwilling to adjust their theological viewpoints, even when they are presented with clear evidence demonstrating flaws in what are essentially the underpinnings of their theological beliefs , because Jehovah's Witnesses embrace Bible truth, we, unlike what other Christian denominations do, distinguish ourselves by championing Bible truth over what we may have thought at one time to have been Bible truth. IOW, Jehovah's Witnesses are honest enough to admit when we were wrong in the early-1900s, in the 1930s, in the 1960s, in the 1990s, and today, and you know what? Our God knows at all times who it is here on earth that is doing their best to do His will, even when He knows we've gotten something wrong .

It appears to me that if the following thoughts are true, then the above highlighted comments could not be distinguishing anything at all as it claims.

I wonder if it has ever been demonstrated where JWs have not always abandoned their beliefs as soon as they come to realize that such beliefs are premised on wrong conclusions.

I wonder if it has ever been demonstrated where JWs seem unwilling to adjust their theological viewpoints, even when they are presented with clear evidence demonstrating flaws in what are essentially the underpinnings of their theological beliefs.

I wonder if has ever been demonstrated where other denominations admit they were wrong in a similar fashion as this person claims the JW denomination does.

Another thought:

I wonder if the statement, Our God knows at all times who it is here on earth that is doing their best to do His will, even when He knows we’ve gotten something wrong, is better applied to every persons as individuals vs. an exclusive denomination.

Just thinking out loud,

Pharmer

• wobble
    wobble

Good thoughts those, the Pharmer, that kind of utter nonsense from the Jw's as individuals and the WT themselves is so galling because it is simply a lie.

Two examples of not abandoning doctrines that have been proved to be false, 1914 and the "Blood" doctrine.

1914 was exposed as false to the WT in no uncertain terms in the 1960's, they chose to stick with it. (they still have little choice but to do so of course)

The blood doctrine has been shown to be totally in error for many years. They stick with it.

O.K so they modify the doctrines a bit over the years, but that is not relevant.

As to your point about other denominations, the Church of God after the death of G.T Armstrong had a major change in doctrine. Lost a lot of members because of the changes too.

The Christadelphians modified their teachings about 150 years ago, they have not seen the need to change since, not having been proved wrong by JW's or anybody to their satisfaction.

The problem for the mind-controlled JW is that they will not agree the doctrines are false Biblically ,until the WT says so and drops them, so everything is O.K in their theological La La land in their mind.

They are sticking to "Bible Truth" they believe, if only they would study the Bible properly with an open mind and knowledge of how to study it, they would see how crazy and unsupportable their unique doctrines are.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The problem for the mind-controlled JW is that they will not agree the doctrines are false Biblically ,until the WT says so and drops them,

I think lots of JWs are questioning doctrine now..........they just cannot discuss it openly unless they are willing to change their religion too (or at least accept the consequences that they will be expelled from their current religion).

• sizemik
    sizemik

There seems to be a totally illogical mind-set that freely admits . . . while our beliefs might have been wrong in the past . . . they are all "the truth" right now!

Astounding really . . . but a distinguishing characteristic for sure . . . of a cult!

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Our God knows at all times who it is here on earth that is doing their best to do His will, even when He knows we've gotten something wrong.

There are a whole lot of people "doing their best to do his will" as the author puts it.

How obnoxious to presume that only jws are "doing their best".

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

I appreciate all the thoughts and comments -- thanks!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Afternoon Pharmer..

JW`s Change their Beliefs when the WBT$ tells them to..

Period..

JW`s are Indoctrinated to be WatchTarded..

.................. ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit