Anyone watch a Biblical epic or two today?

by Glander 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• Glander
    Glander

There were several being shown from the late fifties, early sixties. Anthony Quinn as Barrabas, Jeffery Hunter as Jesus of Nazareth, etc.

Cheesy technicolor and all the Romans have upper class British accents. Lots of mineral oil sweat and burlap on the Jewish peasants. Blue eyed Jesus and a rubber crown of thorns. Glued on beards and endless close ups of faces in awe looking to the heavens.

What's your favorite cliche?

• RADHESYAM
    RADHESYAM

There were a few on TV this weekend.. I only managed to catch Charlton Hesston in the 10 commandments and right after that was a newer version of the 10 commandements (but it was after midnight I fell asleep in the first 20 mins)

WE always have a good chuckle at all the super white skinned 'screen Goddesess' with pinup hair who just HAVE to perform at least one dance at some point in the film.

• Glander
    Glander

Yeah, I didn't know they had hairspray and false eyelashes in Jesus day, LOL

• jgnat
    jgnat

Turner Classic Movies had them going non-stop. I just couldn't watch more than snippets. I didn't know that Charlton Heston had played John the Baptist to a blue-eyed Jesus. I thought Jesus was Lawrence of Arabia in this film, but I was wrong. It was Max von Sydlow in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965).

By their nature in these films the words are scripted, the actors, stiff (with an exception for Jesus Christ Superstar).

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

On Friday we watched the Gospel of John and on Sunday we watched the Ten commandments and then, LOL :

Percy Jackson and the lightning thief and Clash of the Titans !

I love Yul Brenner in the Ten Commandments, that guy was pure style !

Heston was so over the top it was awesome and the "water girl Lily" was a hottie, ;)

Then at night we watched Game of thrones, good stuff.

• TD
    TD
    ...and the "water girl Lily" was a hottie, ;)

I see I'm not the only Debra Paget fan here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit