BBC Video: Does Christianity Have a Future?

by leavingwt 8 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This documentary was broadcast on April 17, 2011.

"According to some, Christianity in the UK has no future. Closure of churches and falling attendances in the last few decades appear to show that the Christian faith is in terminal decline."

"Ann Widdecombe examines the evidence, and discovers at least three areas of Christian growth which are bucking the trend - immigration into the Catholic Church, the Alpha course and the Black Pentecostalist Churches."

"But even if these do arrest the decline, what about the very long term? Can Christianity survive in a world in which the young seem even less interested in Christianity than their parents? And in such a world, how is it possible to justify an established Church of England and all its privileges?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zerVCx1Cnbc

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

The question is if Christianity fades, what is the religion that will replace it? Personally I take the principles found in Jesus teachings, with basic principle the Universal Law of Love. Mainstream Christian religions are tolerant and if you belong to any of those mainstream Christian Religions(Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican) you enjoy freedom of thought.

My main concern is what kind of religion will replace Christianity. What I'm afraid is from the rappid expansion of the Muslim faith in Europe and especially in England and France, that you can see Mosques coming out like mushrooms, replacing even Christian Churches, since there aren't any Christians to attend and worship Jesus. The fact that most of them are fanatics, acting like a right wing Christian Cult(like JW's)it is something that we need to take into consideration.

• andrekish
    andrekish

I watched this program on TV a few days back.

I live less than a mile from the church in Brighton that Anne visited (St. Peter's Church) and which holds the Alpha course. This church was previously the parish church of Brighton but these days no-one cares so it is falling down. All over Brighton the Alpha Course is being promoted by lots of Christian denominations. This may be the future.

It struck me that the Pentecostal organisation using this church now that the old congregation has declined are as bonkers as most other groups but with modern music and amplifiers. I couldn't see much difference between this emotional beat-driven high and the high that ravers get with their Ecstacy just with a little bit of God chucked in to make everyone feel good. I don't think many people realise the similarities between this and shamanistic trance induction.

If this rush to media/contemporary driven services continues then the main future for Christianity will be with Pope Simon Cowell and his New JC Factor show.

Surely, the praise of our Creator should be our actions not our vocal abilities.

But at least they believe in God so who knows where their paths will take them and as fellow humans I wish them well. If they keep this up they will be as mad as the rest of us quite quickly.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking...

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

According to the Scriptures, Christianity doesn't have a future.

• misocup
    misocup

Christianity has no future but Islam will take over as the predominant religion. They are buying up the whole country out from under the Brit's and they aren't even putting up a fight. How long before one of them owns The Tower, or Stonehenge?

• ziddina
    ziddina

It would be highly ironic if the Muslim religion eventually became the 'dominant' religion on the planet just as global warming or climate change ushers in a new period of intense desertification....

It always amazed me that the Muslims would ardently worship a 'god' that dropped them or dumped them into the worst, driest, biggest desert areas on earth... Also amazing that the typical Muslim has apparently never THOUGHT about that...

But that's a mono-theist Middle-Eastern 'god' for you... Vicious and destructive to its followers, using threats to control them. Hmmmm... The seeds of cult mentality built right in.

Zid

• wasblind
    wasblind

" It always amazed me that the Muslims would ardently worship a 'god' that dropped them or dumped them into the worst, driest, biggest desert areas on earth... Also amazing that the typical Muslim has apparently never THOUGHT about that..."

LOL @ Zid, you sarcasstic bitty

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, WasBlind!! [waves!!] Glad you liked that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit