How did you feel when the expression "by extension" was used when discussing scriptures?

by stillstuckcruz 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

I really had a hard time accepting certain scriptures as being an "extension" to modern-day JW's. EXAMPLES:

ip-2 cp6 pg87 paragraph 87: "For God’s exiled people in Babylon, those words are an assurance that the Promised Land will not remain desolate. It will be reinhabited. And Jehovah’s promises to them come true. By extension, Isaiah’s words are an assurance to God’s people today that the earth will not become a desolate ruin—charred by fire, as some believe, or destroyed by nuclear bombs, as others fear. God purposes that the earth will remain forever, robed in paradisaic beauty and populated by righteous inhabitant"

es11 pg 41: "The men sitting in the upper room with Jesus that night in Jerusalem were convinced that Jesus was the promised Messiah. (John 6:68, 69) It must surely have warmed their hearts to hear him say to them the words of today’s text. Those words of Jesus to his faithful apostles apply in principle to all anointed Christians today and, by extension, to their “other sheep” companions. "

w10 10/15 pg 18 para13: "Who should take the lead in showing honor? In his letter to the Hebrews, Paul describes Christian elders as “those who are taking the lead among you.” (Heb. 13:17) True, elders take the lead in numerous activities. Still, as shepherds of the flock, they surely need to take the lead in honoring fellow believers—including fellow elders. For instance, when elders meet to consider the spiritual needs of the congregation, they honor one another by carefully listening to the comments made by any of their fellow elders. Further, they show honor by taking into consideration the views and expressions of all the elders when making a decision. (Acts 15:6-15) We should remember, though, that Paul’s letter to the Romans was directed not only to the elders but to the entire congregation. (Rom. 1:7) Thus, by extension, the admonition to take the lead in showing honor applies to all of us today."

w09 10/15 pg13 para 1-2: "THE men sitting in the upper room with Jesus came from a variety of backgrounds. The brothers Peter and Andrew had been fishermen. Matthew was formerly a tax collector—a member of a profession that was despised by the Jews. Some, such as James and John, had likely known Jesus from boyhood. Others, such as Nathanael, may have known him for only a few years. (John 1:43-50) Yet, all present on that momentous Passover night in Jerusalem were convinced that Jesus was the promised Messiah, the Son of the living God. (John 6:68, 69) It must surely have warmed their hearts to hear him say to them: “I have called you friends, because all the things I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”—John 15:15.
    2 Those words of Jesus to his faithful apostles apply in principle to all anointed Christians today and, by extension, to their “other sheep” companions"

8 In response Jehovah explained the meaning of his name. He said to Moses: “I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be.” (Exodus 3:14) Many Bible translations here read: “I am that I am.” But the careful rendering in the New World Translation shows that God was not merely affirming his own existence. Rather, he was teaching Moses—and by extension all of us—what that name implies.

"True followers of Jesus Christ, both in the first century and in modern times, have referred to themselves and to fellow believers as “the brothers,” “the friends,” and “the congregation of God.” (Acts 11:29; 3 John 14; 1 Cor. 1:2) They have also spoken of Christ as “the Master” and of themselves as “slaves of Christ Jesus” and “slaves of God.” (Col. 3:24; Phil. 1:1; 1 Pet. 2:16) Such designations have been used freely within the congregation, and there they have been well understood.
    In the first century, the manner of life that centered around faith in Jesus Christ (and, by extension, the congregation itself) was referred to as “The Way.” (Acts 9:2; 19:9) A number of translations of Acts 18:25 indicate that it was also called “the way of Jehovah.” On the other hand, some who were outside the congregation derisively referred to it as “the sect of the Nazarenes.”—Acts 24:5."

Thoughts?

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

This is how I currently feel about that expression. Hope that helps.

CoC

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Like hair extensions, FAKE!

by extension

• minimus
    minimus

A very stupid expression.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

And never one scripture to back it up. Did you ever notice no one dares touch the bread and wine at the memorial but yet,by extension, everyone is obligated to preach the good news and fill out a monthly report.

• flipper
    flipper

I felt the WT society was being arrogant in assuming they knew what that " extension " application of prophecy had in our time. How the hell do they know ? They don't. But the motive of the WT top dogs is to make rank & file JW's trust that they DO know . It's deception at it's worst

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

I felt the WT society was being arrogant in assuming they knew what that " extension " application of prophecy had in our time.

^THIS. It's the same with assuming that marrying in "The Lord" means a member of the JW organization. How the HECK would they know that? Of course, Holy Spirit MUST be guiding the FaDS so of COURSE thats how they know.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Every time they say extension I guess you could say that it's a reach.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

It makes me feel like quoting 1 Cor 4:6, or Rev 22:18.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit