Kids doing the dirty work...

by MrFreeze 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

A lot of times I noticed that JW's would have their little ones hold the magazines while out at the door. I guess they figured it would make the householder more likely to take the trash.

Well my parents tried to pull the same thing on me. Only with the memorial. They had my little 10 year old sister ask me if I was coming to the memorial. I guess they figured I'd be less likely to turn down the invite if it was from her. So shady...

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Oy vey... Gotta love that. What person could say no to an innocent child asking them to go?

I could...and I'd explain to the child WHY, which the parents probably wouldn't like very much at all. But it would most likely put an end to the attempts.

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

My sister tried the same tactic. After I was outted, I got an e-mail from my "niece" who was 11 at the time, expressing her dissapointment in me, and asking how I could hurt the family so much. The language used was clearly not written by an 11 year old and it was pretty apparent that my sister just used her e-mail address to try and guilt me into coming back, knowing I wouldn't respond harshly to my young neice. I just ignored it because I was too disgusted to respond in any way.

But I do remember service and how anyone with a child would have the child hand them the magazines with the expressed purpose of making the householder feel to guilty/awkward to refuse a child. Children are just another tool, and no religion should use them to propogate their message.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Whoa. Yeah, it's unsettling. My old congregation would praise the little ones who were making Pioneer hours (I'm serious, there were two families that did this with their nine year old and six year old kids during the summer). They would also get them to speak about their experinces up in the platform during the experiences segments. I always rolled my eyes, because the stuff these children spewed out was so rehearsed and fake-sounding.

Once, after the meeting, I was talking to one of the little ones, and the whole discussion revolved around toy guns and Pokemon. He didn't mention Jehovah or all the good stuff that happened during service as they made him claim up there. I even asked. He just shrugged :p Cute kid actually, at the time. He's now around ten and from what I hear, quite rebellious.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

Whoa. Yeah, it's unsettling. My old congregation would praise the little ones who were making Pioneer hours (I'm serious, there were two families that did this with their nine year old and six year old kids during the summer). They would also get them to speak about their experinces up in the platform during the experiences segments. I always rolled my eyes, because the stuff these children spewed out was so rehearsed and fake-sounding.

I completely agree. These kids are just trying to please their parents at that age. They don't know what their doing. I don't remember preaching at all when I was little, though I know I did. I'm sure only about .02% of those children would keep going out in FS if their parents stopped going. And that would likely only be because their friends are there.

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

My parents used to try to get me to talk to my older DFed brother when they couldn't get through to him.

• moshe
    moshe

Kids are used to disarm the householder in order to get them to open their doors to strangers selling stuff that the householder does not know they even need.- at least a toilet bowl brush they could get some good out of-

-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit