Worlds Apart

by Lunatic Faith 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

So I just watched the Danish film "Worlds Apart" thanks to a reference from this forum. I really enjoyed it. It was almost boring because the depiction of JW life was so good I felt like I was watching a film of my life. I loved how all the music at meetings and assemblies sounded only partially like Kingdom Melodies and the way the interviewed sister stepped up to the podium at assembly--perish the thought! Two inconsistencies is the lead elder who's always sporting a beard, and the fact that the main guy and girl don't get a lot of criticism for spending time unchaperoned. But that could be culturally influenced.

The roles of the various characters were very accurate: the sinning elder, the sinning pioneer, the parent who stays for the sake of the family, the uber-religious pre-teen, the two faced friend, the DF'd person who never gets on with their lives but remains isolated until they return out of desperation, and the one who leaves, improves her life and ceases to believe in it at all. Other than the uber-religious teen and the back stabbing friend, I never realized those others existed until I got on this site. But now they are glaringly obvious.

Two scenes stood out to me: right after his parents first visit, the lead actor admits to the girl he can't be one of JW's--he doesn't believe it. Then he tells her "somewhere deep inside" she must know theres something wrong with her faith. I found this an interesting comment. I spent my life so thorougly indoctrinated in this religion that I never considered for a second there was any other way. Yet ever since my childhood, I didn't fear armageddon--I feared apostasy. And during the time in which I was Sister Perfect-Pioneer, I felt like I was scrambling to maintain my grip upon zeal because I knew if I fell I would fall all the way to the bottom. I knew I was so zealous about my service that the reverse would also be true. If I left, I wouldn't just leave. In the movie when he says "Somewhere deep inside" she knows it's not the truth, it made me wonder if others have felt the same way as I.

For those who spent the majority of their life in it, who believed it without question, did you ever have the feeling something wasn't quite right? Maybe you knew if you ever gave yourself the chance you would see the forest for the trees--and it would contain a lot of rot. Or did you get blind-sided the first time something made you doubt?

Another scene I liked was where she is realizing she is going to have to make a choice. She is walking down a city street and she walks past another girl, about the same age, talking into her phone and acting like a kid. The contrast was startling--here are these two teenage girls who couldn't be more different. And what caused that difference? A religion that strengthens families and allows children to have childhood? Nope--the exact opposite. As she continues down the street, looking miserable, she notices the laughing and happy "worldy" people and you know she is making the comparison in her mind. I say that because it wasn't so very long ago I made the same discovery: non-JW's are actually happier.

What was my final thought on the film? It truly is a worldwide brotherhood! (snort) No really, the indoctrination is surprisingly consistent. But then, attorneys would tell their guilty clients to stick to the same story so they don't get confused on the facts. If you haven't seen this film yet, I highly recommend it.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Haven't seen the movie, maybe someday.

I was 9. I remember a life insurance Salesman came to our farm in NH in 1962. My dad told him he didn,t need life insurance. When the the salesman asked him why he thought he didn't need life insurance. My dad's reply was "Because I'm never going to get old and die".

The salesman actually took a step backwards, stunned, then looked at my father like he was a lunatic, then looked at me with a look of dismay, and pity. He left without saying a word.

That was the instant when I knew it was all bullshit. But I still spent the next 30 years living the lie, and the next 18 trying to live MY life. I still have some baggage but have fared better than most in the same boat. Some I knew committed suicide, consumed by the monster called "Cognitive Disonance". I came very, very close myself.

I also remember walking down the street and seeing ~normal~ people, happy people, and feeling the same things she does . . many times.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Two inconsistencies is the lead elder who's always sporting a beard, and the fact that the main guy and girl don't get a lot of criticism for spending time unchaperoned. But that could be culturally influenced.

In fact, the beard IS culturally influenced. JWs in northern Europe wear beards without an issue.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I just watched it a month ago also....I agree with you that it was like watching a re-run of my own life. It was nice for Coffee Shop Guy to watch the movie with me, since he has never been a JW he got to see on film what I have only described to him (like elders meetings and assemblies)- he truly thought it was sad that this movie is so based in reality.

To answer your question as a born-in JW, I was afraid of both armageddon and apostasy (I would have nightmares about both, because I always had this thought that I was going to die at armageddon no matter what I did because Jehovah knew that I always had doubts). I always knew there was something wrong but was so afraid to verbalize it because I was scared of apostasy (fear of satan).

The part at the end when the main character tries to talk to her younger brother and tells him that there is no armageddon hit me like a bolt because that is exactly where I am now mentally & I want to shake people and tell them the same thing (but it is a lost cause).

I knew real versions of all of those characters in the movie (I was exposed to JW hypocracy as a young adult in the borg)

The main character's prayer at the end made me emotional too....I hope that I will not always be lost...I am just trying to be patient because I know now with no armageddon, I have time to figure out my own spirituality. (it was cool that they put the real girl in the movie at the end sitting accross the train looking at the actress playing her)

Great Flick!

CHG

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    To answer your question as a born-in JW, I was afraid of both armageddon and apostasy (I would have nightmares about both, because I always had this thought that I was going to die at armageddon no matter what I did because Jehovah knew that I always had doubts). I always knew there was something wrong but was so afraid to verbalize it because I was scared of apostasy (fear of satan).

That is exactly how I felt as a jw, and it is the reason why I was a df'd believer for 13 years. The first public criticism I ever heard about the Watchtower was when Barbara Anderson and Bill Bowen were on Dateline. They seemed so normal, so I figured they couldn't be apostates but were simply people like me who knew there was something wrong with the organization. It took another five years for me to check out JWD/N, and the first few times just lurking on this site scared me to death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit