Speaking of Facebook Security...

by jws 0 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

This is sort of security (or at least privacy) related. Does anybody else have the new Outlook with the social networks plugin?

The new plugin works when I'm reading e-mail. It'll have a window at the bottom that shows past e-mails from that person and, with the plugin, will go retrieve Facebook or Linked-In info. For Facebook, it shows your status updates and your profile pic.

It's based on the e-mail address, so be aware of which e-mail address you're using to send to different types of people and which of those e-mail addresses Facebook knows about. Somebody might have a Facebook account, maybe even one without their real name and they've attached all of their e-mails (work and personal) to it. They may change their profile pic to them at some wild party and post about how trashed they got. Well, if your work e-mail is attached to that account and you send an e-mail to a business contact, they could end up seeing that pic and status if they've got Outlook with the plugin. Might not be the sort of thing you want a business client to see. Or your boss when you're up for a promotion.

I'm not exactly sure what to do to prevent it. I suppose having a seperate e-mail account that facebook knows about (and you don't send e-mail from) is one way. I see status updates from my ex, even though I'm not her facebook friend. But then again, it looks like I can look her up and see her wall if I want to. So maybe if you limit who can see your statuses to friends only, it might not let random people see them from Outlook either

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit