bro in law just checked if i'd go to the memorial

by J. Hofer 6 Replies latest jw friends

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

just had a conversation with my brother in law when he suddenly popped the question if i'd be attending the memorial. i evaded the question and just went on talking about the original topic. so he asked again.

bil: now, are you going to the memorial or not?

me: i suppose so, i guess... why do you wanna know?

bil: because if you haven't planned on attending, i'd catch the next plane, come over to you, give you a good beating and drag you to the kingdom hall.

me: oh, and why's that?

bil: because it's the most important day of the year!

for a few seconds my head processed all the things that are way more important than passing around wine and cookies, but i quickly changed topics again, every comment would have brought me into trouble.

i'm off for some red wine. no cookies though.

• undercover
    undercover
    because it's the most important day in the year!

Well, Game of Thrones series premier does start on HBO that day. Maybe not the most important day of the whole year but at least this week or month even.

because if you haven't planned on attending, i'd catch the next plane, come over to you, give you a good beating and drag you to the kingdom hall.

Yes, your B-I-L exemplifies the spirit and attitude of he whose death is to be memorialized that day. As noted in Scripture: And the Lord did say unto thee...get thy self to the upper room for the meal or thou shalt get thy ass kicked and I shalt use the Holy Spirit to transport thee anyway.

• blondie
    blondie

Most important day....not for the great crowd....only the anointed, even per the WTS. I never understood why some inactive jws came only for the Memorial and then were not seen for another year. Or why their family felt that was more important than coming every week. A brother in my last congregation called them submarine witnesses. So what is more important, the wedding day, or all the days after that that make a marriage strong.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm with Blondie. What makes it important to those not in the covenant? Show me a scripture. I'll wait.

• undercover
    undercover
    I never understood why some inactive jws came only for the Memorial and then were not seen for another year.

Back when I was in, I never understood it either. I'd heard similar terms as 'submarine witnesses'.

Now that I'm out, faded and inactive, I understand better why some attend only that meeting. Maybe it wasn't so back in the old days, but I think these days as more and more fade, many now go just to keep peace in the JW family.

Using my own example, I go all year without too much pressure. I've basically pulled off a successful fade, with my spouse still believing somewhat and extended family that is not only active but almost rabid about it. The fact that I go most of the time without pressure is pretty remarkable, but come Memorial time, there is the expectation of my attending. If I was single, I'd say F it, but to keep peace as much as possible, I compromise for this one hour a year and attend if necessary.

The first few times it was uncomfortable, like returning to prison or something, but over time I've lost the fear of the building and the people in it. Now I go, zone out for an hour, chat to a few people I only see once a year and then go out for drinks.

I'd prefer to not go, but it doesn't bother me. One hour a year is worth keeping the hassles down. By not going, it only encourages them to stick their nose further in my business and things would get ugly then. Discretion is the better part of valor sometimes...especially when you're working a plan to help someone learn to think for themselves and see the issues of the WTS on their own.

• nugget
    nugget

quite an agressive approach there from you brother in law. When I was in the memorial was the most important day. One year I was ill and didn't go and spent the year worrying if armageddon came I wouldn't be saved. Now I worry that if I go I will be aligning myself with a false prophet and giving time to an organisation that does not deserve it.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

i too hate to go, but will attend anyway... to lift some pressure from my wife. she can't handle her family questioning her about me. they kind of accepted that i don't attend any meetings anymore, but the memorial is somehow special.

to avoid stomach and/or head aches, i have to stop paying attention to what is said from the platform... which is actually easier now that we have a child.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit