60 Minutes last Sunday

by Adiva 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Adiva
    Adiva

Last Sunday on 60 Minutes they did a piece on the Vatican library. The library houses documents that go back 2000 years. They have the earliest writing from 'the gospels', specifically the gospel of John. The curator read John 1:1 from a very old manuscript and it says "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was God." Unlike the NWT that says 'the word was with god'.

Wonder how many JWs caught that and said or did it go right over their heads?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7362041n&tag=mncol;lst;3

I'm just sayin'.

Adiva

• snowbird
    snowbird

Once, I tried to defend WT's translation of that verse with a knowledgeable person.

She kicked my bummy and called me Lummy!

Syl

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder which manuscript it is and how old it is and it's origin...sorry, can't access link at work.

• Gayle
    Gayle

JWs don't care what any other versions say. They quickly dismiss any other thought or reference because it is easier for them to have the GB tell them what to think and obey.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Jw's who saw it are aware that the apostasy had already begun and that efforts to make Jesus

part of a 3-headed monster were succeeding so they would have immediately disregarded John 1:1

because the faithful and discreet slave properly renders John 1:1 as "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was a god."

in the New World Translation.

Everyone else who has a real Bible would realise that God has kept His message of the "pure language" of truth

available to mankind no matter what the faithless and diseased slobberers on the Watchtower' s Gibbering Buddy claim

to the contrary.

• Adiva
    Adiva

Blondie: Supposedly the manuscript dates back to 100 years after the death of the apostle John.

• wobble
    wobble

Not surprising that the priest read it that way, there is no indefinite article in the Greek, so he read what was on the fragment, word for word.

A fragment from around 200AD will not stop the debate about John 1v1 for WT opponents, especially if they have an agenda of wishing to prove the Trinity doctrine, the WT cannot be stopped from putting in the indefinite article, however weak their argument.

Mind you, if a fragment turned up that seemed to be an auto-graph, and John had written next to verse one, "I plainly wish to say that Jesus is God here" the WT would not believe it.

(Not that I think John was talking about the kind of "oneness" that JW's find abhorrent, but you know what I mean, their doctrine is right regardless of any proof to the contrary)

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The Great Apostasy occurred right after the apostles died, as soon as John croaked it was like *snap* a whole new religion and all manuscripts were changed immediately to read and the Word was God.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Amaxing was the fact that these relics were not open to, except the very elite. A truly astonishing place of wonderment. No wonder the Catholics think they've got a monopoly on God!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit