The Three Phases Of "The Truth"

by Kensho 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Kensho
    Kensho

I had a discussion one day with my son about "The Truth" I stated the truth is fluid it is always in motion never as black and white as we would like to think because as humans we are always growing and learning new things (hopefully).

Ridiculed-Violently opposed-becomes self-evident are the 3 phases that are seen when any new discovery in science or breakthrough technology first appears. The following is what I surmize are the 3 main phases JW's go through when faced with the REAL TRUTH. (from personal experience)

PHASE 1= Ridicule- When witnesses are faced with negative questions from fellow JWs about the controversial history of the org. and the past teachings that the GB has put in writing for all to see, teachings that are so far out and contrary to "current Light" that if one dares to question the history and changes in for example "generations", "1975", and the big confussion with the blood issue etc etc... then the first response is to ridicule the JW asking those questions, by referring to their lack of faith or they need to pray more, they must need a shepherding visit, questioning their motives for asking or imply that they have be looking at apostate material and so on, you get the picture. This is usually the response from the elders as the R&F would rarely get involved with these topics with other R&F because they would immediately be reported to the elders out of fear. ( or a false sense of loyality)

By the way this is a totally opposite response if the person asking was a bible study, or newly interested- they would be viewed as a Beroaen. But once you get wet that is it for the questions my friend.

PHASE 2=Violently opposed If a br or sis. continues to ask questions by doing their own research even writing the branch, or they really get stupid and talk to others in the cong. the red flags go up. Elders are notified, COs get involved all for the "protection" of the congregation, labels begin to fly, your weak, rebelious, questioning of ones' loyalty to the F&DS even bordering on apostasy "have you lost your mind?".

Then secret meetings of what to do with this person and eventually unofficially "marking" or actually threatening disfellowshipping and many times actually DFing the "Truth" seeker.

PHASE 3= Truth becomes self-evident This is the phase that few ever reach (especially elders) because they are locked on phase 1 & 2 and refuse to look any further.

But Many on this and other forums especially the former elders while engaged in the first two Phases had an epiphany as the real TRUTH about "The Truth" becomes self-evident undeniable and have now found themselves experiencing phase 1 & 2 from others.

Thus I contend Truth is Liquid skip phase 1 & 2 go directly to 3 and save yourself major crow eating and regret, can anybody relate to this?

Kensho Satori

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Yes, I can relate. Claiming to have "the Truth" cannot be sustained

In my "Bible Studies" I must have overdone the questions - or the tolerance for questions is limited even then.

I identified three stages which may align:

1. Denial - "read it again carefully" or " you didn't understand"

2. Poisoning the well - "where did you get that?" "who said this?" "They cannot be trusted" "that webpage is worldly/satanic"

3. Shoot the messenger "you don't really want to learn, do you?"

Sadly they never got beyond that - but seeing how others here have suffered as they exited, perhaps that's OK. My only aim was and is to plant a few doubts so that they'll be a bit hesitant with future converts.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I think you are spot on! I enjoyed how you laid it all out. It explained a lot of how my family is reacting. bookmarked

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Kensho just want you to know some of us former elders did get past phase 3. But I must admit phase 3 takes a little longer to go through than the first 2 phases. For me it was all I knew and to come finally face to face with your own core beliefs it takes time to think these matters over and phase out your old core beliefs for new beliefs. Sometimes you even have to readjust your new beliefs until you settle in your new core beliefs. I don't know if that makes sense but that how I see it. Good thread. Totally ADD

• Kensho
    Kensho

Totally ADD

It makes perfect sense and I know there must be many former & current elders stuck on the phase 3 like myself who are just trying to put into practice what you outlined, but as I am in the middle of the re-adjustment period I must admit it is an ongoing struggle and at times I kind of just get zombied out and numb to the whole process like I'm watching this thing unfold after 37 yrs and of being ignorant of so many things that this isn't really happening to me but someone else-

Hard to put into words as you can see from this post- other than MAN I'M FREAKING OUT! Thanks for the feed back.

Kensho Satori

• QuitWastingTIME
    QuitWastingTIME

Kensho, I will PM you something you might be interested in. "He who seeks the truth, follow him. He who finds the truth, doubt him."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit