Who Most Closely Resembles Ray Franz in Terms of Beliefs, Conclusions and Personality?

by headisspinning 4 Replies latest jw friends

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Okay, so I am a born-in and as many of you know almost finished reading 'Crisis of Conscience'...

It disturbs me greatly that Ray has passed on because I would love to talk to him.

I guess, I am so used to following someone or something that I feel like I'm floundering... I don't know... I guess I really want someone to tell me 'The Way'.

From Ray's writing I would be more than happy to seriously examine the conclusions he came to and his own beliefs.

I just don't know which way to turn now.

From reading his book I greatly respect him and damnit... why did he have to leave?

Do any of you know of anyone else who was closely aligned with Ray's way of thinking and the conclusions he drew from the scriptures?

Please let me know!!!

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Headspinning - Continue on and read In Search of Christian Freedom - he gives you many of the answers there that you are seeking.

I also was fortunate to have gone through what you are prior to his death - back in 2006 for me and I have a few letters from him. For he and his wife (and she by the way is still with us so you may be able to write her - I have not) he found satisfaction in just holding a weekly bible study session in his home for a few other like-minded souls where they could pray, sing praises together, and engage in "real" Bible discussion. He was offered high level positions by more than one outfit or perhaps I should say "organized" religious group but he turned all of these down. He just focused his time in serving the Lord in the best way possible at any given moment and that will differ greatly for all of us because we have differing talents, experiences, and gifts.

As to another like-minded person to Ray I am excited to have discovered this week that Rheinhard Lengtadt is holding similar Bible discussions with a group of ex-jw's and per my source, he has now left the WTS. She used to attend his studies and when I expressed the fact I would LOVE doing that she promised to get in touch with him and take me up there. He has to be way up in years now because when I knew him before in the 80's he was older than myself and still within the fold giving oodles of talks. I remember his coming to Sequim my first time to ever meet him, and then we traveled all the way down to Lacey, Washington to hear another of his talks, about three hours away. He lived in the northend of Seattle back then. At that time I had not read any of Ray's books but I knew he was SPECIAL. Turns out he was one of the three that prepared the Aid to Bible Understanding. In the 80's witchhunt Ray, and Ed Dunlap were DF'd and Rheinhard was sent to the Pacific Northwest on a $600/Month stipend (so generous - and I am sarcastic with that comment). The WTS wanted some more research out of him that he was currently working on at that time I have been told and then they got rid of him, effectively, though he gave them no opportunity for DF'ing.

I am curious to learn what the current situation is and what has happened in the intervening years. I had another friend down in another congregation that kept constant contact with him and offered to take me for a visit at that time. She and her husband who had passed away by that time used to give him free room and board to help him in his ministry when they lived back in Minnesota I think and all of them were many years younger at least 40 years younger - she and her husband were just raising their family at that time so this was well before he was invited to Bethel. Sadly I never took her up on the offer because I knew I wanted to talk about the 607/1914 issue and that he wouldn't feel free to discuss that with her there in order to not stumble her. I had already made up my mind by then it was one HUGE error on the WTS's part. I realize this is too far away for you and your hubby to come but don't give up. I am sure you will find others of similar caliber in your own area. The numbers of spiritual minded people leaving are growing by leaps and bounds. Salty

• JRK
    JRK

I had the privelege to talk to Ray when he was alive. BA is the closest I can think of. She is a real person, as Ray was.

JK

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes Barbara Anderson - otherwise known as AndersonsInfo

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Thank you. I really appreciate your comments.

It's interesting that you mention Barbara because it was actually her life story that we found online that brought me back to JWN (some of you know I left for a while).

The other person I found really helpful is Frank Kavelin.

I am also going to see if there's a way to contact Ray's wife and the other individual mentioned in the first reply (I'm sorry - I have to check back for the name).

Many thanks!

Julia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit