Movie reviewer unknowingly uses dub terminology.

by Anime Nerd 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Anime Nerd
    Anime Nerd

Greetings. I am an ocassional poster at Jehovah's Witness Recovery. I'm also an unzaptized Super Apostate. (My super powers are my belief in Facts, not Fantasy, and no longer suffering from Cognitive Dissonence.) At some point, I'll probably post my whole story. But for now, if you want to read it, just head over to Jehovah's Witness Recovery, and search for me by my username, and read the first couple threads I started. (I also go by the name Anime Nerd over there too.)

I feel like JWR is a better place to recover from being a dub, than jwnet is. They're more helpful and sympathetic over there. (You guys don't recoment "Crisis of Conscience" and "Combating Cult Mind Control" often enough to new people.) Some of the people on this site seem rude and flippant towards people's obvious needs for help and sympathy. I'm also kind of surprized to see the occasional, hardcore, still drinking the Kool-aid, argumentive, dub posting on here. But for the most part, you guys on jwnet seem decent. My one complaint about JWR, is how little activity it has compared to this site. So after you recover from being a Borg, you find that JWR doesn't have much exciting stuff going on. By comparsion, jwnet is like the wild west of ex-jw sites. There's some really interesting and funny threads on this forum. And there's always activity on here. So I decided to start lurking and occasionally posting on here, in addition to JWR. (Side Note: jwnet really needs a "Preview Post" button. "Submit" and "Cancel" are not enough.)

The following thread, I coppied from myself on JWR, and I'm also posting it over here:

I frequent another website, called avsforum.com. It's a forum for tech related discussions like: building a Home Theater PC, choosing the right speakers, buying the right TV, etc. On their home page, they'll occasionally have reviews for recently released movies. One of the recent movie releases was for some lame looking horror movie, called "The Inheritance." Lee Weber, one of the two movie reviewers on avsforum, wrote the following in his review:

When five thirty-something cousins are invited to claim their part of the family inheritance, they are greeted by Uncle Melvin (Keith David) and a few other 'elders', who warn them to respect their family traditions. --Note to self: Any group of older people who act weird and refer to themselves as 'The Elders' are sure to have some weird voodoo or satanic cultish stuff under their sleeves. After a night of partying they are awoken by the elders, and summoned to a morning meeting that morphs into ceremony of tradition as the elders tell them a dark story from the past. What seemed to take ten minutes actually took many hours, and the cousins journey to the darkest of family secrets is on its way. Only too late do they realize these secrets of their slave ancestors past hold a dark debt they must pay in blood to maintain the legacy of their family.

These are his exact words, copy and pasted from avsforum to here. My only alterations were to underline and bold a few words and phrases to highlight them. I haven't seen this movie, but I find this portion of the review for it unintentionally amusing. Here is the full review if you're interested: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1327669 (Just copy and paste the url into your browser.) Without having seen the story, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the bad guys are The Elders. Awesome. If this is the case, the screen writer couldn't have chosen a more deserving group to be villains in a movie. I love that he uses the word "cultish," when refering to the elders.

So after a night of partying, the group is summoned to a "morning meeting." Somehow, I think there'll be a Special Needs talk about the inherent dangers of partying. The reviewer also says that instead of "taking ten minutes actually took many hours." Instead of a morning meeting, maybe it was actually a Judicial Committee Hearing. That could easily last hours. When I saw the phrase, "slave ancestors past," I thought, "Oh. They're 3rd or 4th generation Witnesses."

And then we come to the final phrase: "a dark debt they must pay in blood to maintain the legacy of their family." This made me think of all the Borg members that have pointlessly sacrificed themselves and their family members because they couldn't take blood transfusions.

I wonder if the reviewer of this movie is an ex-jw, or if all these words and phrases are just a weird coincidence.

• james_woods
    james_woods

If you don't like this site, then why bother to waste the keystrokes?

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Not many using it right now

In total there are 11 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 54 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:02 pm

• Anime Nerd
    Anime Nerd

I do like jwnet. I was just offering some constructive criticisim/complaints.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Fine. Welcome to this forum.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Welcome Anime Nerd

Glad to have you here.

I like it here, it's a much wider community than most other xjw sites.

Kevin

• Anime Nerd
    Anime Nerd

Thanks for the welcomes James Woods and finallysomepride. It's good to be here.

James, are you the James Woods that I see in movies. Or are you the evil James Woods from Family Guy. (If you've never seen the cartoon, Family Guy, I mean this as a light hearted joke.)

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

"Elders" isn't a JW-only term.

Many societies where families are an important part of the society's building block will refer to older members of the group or family as "the elders". Nothing spooky about it, it's simply a term of respect.

Maybe when you get older you'll understand that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit