Have JW's ever been charged with littering? Why do they say place flyer in an inconspicuous place?

by InterestedOne 5 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I walked onto my front porch this morning to see a memorial flyer cleverly placed so it was out of sight from the street but so I would notice it. I saw my neighbors had one placed that way too. Have JW's ever been charged with littering for their flyering? At a couple meetings, I remember the man on the platform telling JW's to place the flyer in an inconspicuous place. Can someone explain the JW approach to flyering?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Yes they have been charged but usually claim the first amendment protects them which very little judges would want to claim anything against about but SCOTUS. There's a reason they can't put them into the mailboxes anymore, I know they used to do it and it might be one of the cases they lost.

Thankfully the 1st amendment also protects your right to say whatever you want to the poor JW slave in your street.

• sherah
    sherah

IO, some US cities have anti-handbill/leaflet ordinances that prohibit businesses/orgs from littering up your doorway with junk. Political/Religious literature is often exempted as long as it left securely; excluding the mail slot or mailbox.

WTBS walk a fine line because they know the R&F are either ignorant of or ignore local rules regarding leaflets. Hence the reminders at the KH.

• steve2
    steve2

Many years ago there was a spate of burglaries in my locality which focused on houses that had flyers partially stuck through a locked door. Burglars could tell which residences were vacated by noticing the flyers still stuck through the locked door the next day. Householders complained to the local council about the heightened risk of burglary. The council contacted the elders who announced to the local congregation that they were not to stick flyers in doors. Burglars no doubt cursed the complaince.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I was taught that if you put the tract under the door, to place it so it can't be seen by anyone, particularly from the street. It was for precisely the reason that steve2 gave, because burglars could use them to see if the residents were away or not.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wonder if the witlesses themselves have ever been charged with breaking and entering. If you walk on an enclosed porch (one that you need go through a door to access) without permission from the householder, you are technically breaking and entering. Exceptions might be where the postman needs leave mail in a mailbox on the porch, but certainly not for the witlesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit