When was the book of Matthew writtnen?

by ssn587 1 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ssn587
    ssn587

The Not Willy Truthful bible put out by the witless says it was 41 CE. But others say much later. I am wondering just why they the WTBTS saus ot was 41 CE instead of much later in 60 or even later CE. If anyone has any info on this I would much appreciate this. I had thought I had put this out there earlier today but can't find it. (lzheimer at work?) Any help on this issue will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Matthew):

Biblical scholars generally hold that Matthew was composed between the years c. 70 and 100. [ 95 ] [ 96 ] [ 97 ] [ 98 ] Ignatius seemed to have knowledge of four Pauline epistles and the Gospel of Matthew", [ 99 ] which gives a terminus ante quem of c. 110. The author of the Didache (c 100) probably knew it as well. [ 6 ] Many scholars see the prophecy of the siege and destruction of Jerusalem [ 100 ] as suggesting a date of composition after the year 70. [ 101 ]

A minority of scholars believe that the Gospel could have been written as early as 63. [ 71 ]

Of course the oldest manuscripts which we have today were written / copied hundreds of years later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit