One of my Life's Accomplishments

by Nellie 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Nellie
    Nellie

A few days ago I picked up a book entitled "Life Lessons for Women - 7 Essestial Ingredients for a Balanced Life." I imagine that many of us (especially ex-JWs) are on a quest to find balance and the title of this book appealed to me.

This is one of those books that challenges you to look inward and examine what who you are. No sooner had I begun reading (Pg 13) when I faced my first real challenge....the question reads: "What are 3 things I've accomplished in my life that I'm most proud of?"

I put the book down and really, really thought about that. Well, obviously, my marriage and my children. And while I can take some credit for the success and/or failure of my marriage (this Sunday is 29 years), does that really count as a personal accomplishment because it's not something that I've done on my own...neither are my children. I mean I've contributed greatly to the fact that as of this moment they are all alive, healthy and functioning, contributing members of society...but really, that's an ongoing work in progress and they each have the major credit for living up to the standards that I've asked of them. So what, really, are my personal accomplishments in life?

My next line of thought led me to the core of who I am as an adult. I do believe in giving credit where credit is due and I've always given credit to the WBTS for helping mold me into the "law-abiding, non-sinning, responsibile, etc." person that I am. Which is why when faced with the undeniable evidence that the WBTS was NOT what I thought it was, I felt the crisis of choice. The choice of to continue associating with the organization and now be complicit in the untruths or to walk away after 35 years - and do so while holding my head up, proud of the decision (really the only one I could live with) to separate from the hypocrisy.

My first acknowledged accomplishment was being strong enough to leave!

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I wish you success. It's nice to see a woman, or really anyone, make a stand for their own integrity. "To thy ownself be true."

Women are second class citizens in the Kingdom Hall. They are baby-machines, cooks and weekday pioneers. Recently, I heard some "counsel" concerning the audio setup for the Ministry School when sisters have to give a talk. Some elders were very insistant that the chairs have to be carefully set up so that the sisters are facing each other and not in anyway facing the audience. (The idea was that if a sister faced the audience, it might be construed as her teaching the congregation. No lie. This was said with a straight face.)

I never understood the disrespect towards females. If their doctrine teaches that women are among the 144,000 who will rule in heaven with Jesus, then why is it the end of the world if a woman gives a sermon, a prayer or whatever? Then again, what do I know?

• Nellie
    Nellie

That was always one of my questions too! I remember being applauded (not literally) for the fine "talks" that I always gave, and thinking what a sharp contrast that was to the whole "needing to cover your head" if leading before a brother and not being able to actually preach from the platform. Quiet as it's kept, there are a lot of women who's public speaking abilities are waaay better than some of the brothers'. But then again, who am I, right? Only a woman! ;)

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I doubt that any male member of the 144,000 would even consider what any female member of the 144,000 had to say about anything.

And yet they supposedly get all the same information......

• Nellie
    Nellie

LOL @ Palmtree67

They sure don't care what they have to say before they reach their heavenly reward!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Has it been 29 years already, wow! Looking back on the folks we know that got married around the time you and "Mr. Nelly" got married, I think you guys are one of the few that are actually still married !

• Nellie
    Nellie

Yup Shirley - 29 years this Sunday!

Thinking about the rest of them that ARE still together - ask yourself how many of them are together by choice and not just because they "have to be"!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit