Yeti Research Institute Planned In Russia After Recent Sightings (for Flipper)

by Kudra 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Kudra
    Kudra

Yeti Research Institute Planned In Russia After Recent Sightings

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/24/yeti-research-institute-_n_839692.html?utm_source=chrome

Officials in west Siberia plan to launch a new scientific institute dedicated to studying yetis after a spate of reported sightings in remote areas.

As the AFP is reporting, the region will host an international conference on the ape-like, mythological creatures later this year.

"Organizing an institute or a scientific center would be a logical continuation of research into the yeti," the administration in Kemerovo, a Russian coal-mining region, in western Siberia said, according to the AFP. "The town of Tashtagol will host an international conference with leading experts into hominids. Based on its results, we will take a decision on opening a scientific research institute to study the yeti."

Kemerovo officials cited researcher Igor Burtsev as saying that around 30 Russian scientists are studying yetis -- also known as "Abominable Snowmen" -- and could work together at the planned institute, the Telegraph reports. "We think that the yeti is a separate branch of human evolution. It lives in harmony with nature," he said.

According to Yahoo! News, Burtsev told Russian newspaper Itar Press he believed he spotted evidence of a yeti after an expedition last year. "I saw markers [half-broken branches] the creature uses to mark the controlled territory," he is quoted as saying. "In the woods I have found several artifacts to confirm my theory. I plan to find the Bigfoot's shelter and even try to contact the creature."

Fifteen other witnesses have claimed to have spotted yeti in one remote Siberian area last year, the Daily Mail is reporting.

-another article on it here-

Russia sets up university institute to study the yeti after spate of sightings
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368898/The-cold-paw-Russian-scientists-set-Yeti-institute.html#ixzz1HYAdumsl

Russia is setting up a university research institute to study the Yeti after a spate of claimed recent sightings in Siberia.

Scientists say they have found 15 witnesses in the past year who gave statements that they saw the Abominable Snowman in one remote area .

'We spoke to local residents', said Dr Igor Burtsev, who conducted an expedition last summer and will head the new institute at Kemerovo State University. 'They told us Yetis were stealing their animals.'

The academic claims around 30 Yetis live in a remote region of Mount Shoria in in southern Siberia.

He strongly denies accusations that the 'sightings' are a bizarre ruse to attract tourists to the far-flung region.

Reports say the two-legged creatures are heavy-set, more around 7ft tall and resemble bears.

'Their bodies were covered in red and black fur, and they could climb trees,' said one account.

One villager, Afanasy Kiskorov, even claimed to scientists that he rescued a Yeti on a hunting trip a year ago.

The creature was screaming in fear after falling into a swollen mountain river, he said.

His version suggested a 'strange creature, looking like a huge man which tried several times to get out of water and to stand up on both feet, but dropped into the water each time and was howling'.

As his fellow-hunters 'froze' in amazement, Kiskorov held out a dry tree trunk.

'The creature clutched to it and crawled to the bank,' he said.

On the trail: Scientists believe there could be a community of up to 30 yetis existing in remote Russian wilderness

On the trail: Scientists believe there could be a community of up to 30 yetis existing in remote Russian wilderness

Russian Scientist: Igor Burtsev will head the new 'Yeti institute' at Kemerovo State University

Russian Scientist: Igor Burtsev will head the new 'Yeti institute' at Kemerovo State University

The Yeti allegedly then ran off. This 'sighting' was in the Tashtagol district of the Kemerovo Region, only accessible by helicopter. However, no photographic evidence exists.

Other accounts say the Yetis steal hens and sheep from remote villages.

According to Burtsev, Yetis are Neandethal men who have survived to this day

related]

'In Russia there are about 30 authoritative scientists who are engaged in studying the phenomenon of the 'Abonimable Snowman'. All of them will be

integrated into this institute,' said Dr Burtsev.

The 'primary goal' is to 'establish contact' with one of the creatures.

Leading Russian scientists deny the existence of the Yeti. An expensive Soviet expedition in central Asia found traces but no clear proof of the existence of the Yetis.

Elusive: An artist's impression of the Yeti or Abominable Snowman

Elusive: An artist's impression of the Yeti or Abominable Snowman

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368898/The-cold-paw-Russian-scientists-set-Yeti-institute.html#ixzz1HYArFTTS
  • james_woods
    james_woods

I think I would need more to convince me than drawings, or "half broken branches".

A body would be nice, preferably with recoverable DNA...

• flipper
    flipper

KUDRA- Thanks for posting ! Very interesting. These ceatures are all over the planet actually. I'm reading a book by anthropologist Ivan Sanderson right now who was one of the original researchers on this subject. And as you know I have experienced this creature myself with my son and have pictures of footprints . Very informative. Good job.

JAMES_WOODS- Here is a link you can research yourself Bigfoot Research Organization which has about 400 sightings reported in California alone over the last 30 years and it's broken down by each county. I doubt ALL these people would be reporting a hoax. The link is : http://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=CA. Check it out. It's very eye opening

• Kudra
    Kudra

Yup- primates are cool.

A professor (head of the physics department) at the university where I did my undergrad actually gave a talk on reasons why he believed there was evidence for bigfoot...

I am on the extremely skeptical end of the bigfoot spectrum. I'd love to believe but...

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

In Early December of either 1995 or 1996 I was deer hunting outside of Ardmore, Oklahoma on a 200 acre plot adjacent to Lake Murray State Park.

This area while not isolated, is very thickly wooded and saw virtually no human traffic except for me and my hunting partner. OK, so it's mid-morning and I'm still hunting (slow spot and stalk) across the property closest to the park to set myself up on a hillside where I had seen a group of does over the last 2 years.

This hillside had a small clearing on the south end that narrowed down into almost a funnel as it dropped off into the creek that crossed the property. A faint game trail wound it's way up out of the creek and came out right in the end of the funnel. As I slowly made my way up out of the creek I stopped when I was at a level where I could see into the clearing and on up to my hillside hunting spot. That way I could see if the doe group was already in the field. I didn't expect to see them yet (I had them pretty much patterned by now in that they always came out around midday from the north side of the hillside) and sure enough the hillside was clear.

Well, I stand there quietly for a couple of minutes when I hear a sound to my immediate right. What I was hearing was a deep "thump" that was repeating at what I estimate was about 60 to 70 BPM. It would happen 4 or 5 times in a row, stop for a few seconds, and then start up again. This probably went on for about a minute with about 6 to 7 periods of thumping. The sound seemed to me to be coming from maybe 30 or 40 yards away but was hard to determine because this was absolutely the thickest and gnarliest place on the whole property and was actually across the fence and thusly in the State Park, and I didn't really want to carry a firearm (even a muzzleloader) onto a state park. It finally stopped so I stood there looking into the undergrowth for a couple of minutes and then continued the hunt.

What was making the noise? I've got no idea. What I can say is that the closest I've come to imitating it was when I took a sledgehammer and pounded the hell out of a postoak tree that was about 8" thick. The whole tree, leaves and all, shook. That's what it sounded like.

It was really weird but never hit me until later as to just how weird it was.

• Spectre
    Spectre

...But what Kudra? I've seen a Bigfoot. That good enough for you?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I doubt ALL these people would be reporting a hoax.

They don't necessarily have to all be hoaxes to be delusional or flat mistaken. Probably that many people claim to have seen Jesus, as well.

There have been far more than 400 UFO sightings in the last 30 years, and I do not believe those either - not until someone publicly provides a scientific peer-reviewed physical evidence of one.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

They don't necessarily have to all be hoaxes to be delusional or flat mistaken. Probably that many people claim to have seen Jesus, as well.

There have been far more than 400 UFO sightings in the last 30 years, and I do not believe those either - not until someone publicly provides a scientific peer-reviewed physical evidence of one.

You sound like my dad. For years he didn't believe in the Wooly Mammoth until a couple were found well preserved in ice. He still refuses to believe in the Sabre Tooth Tiger or Dinosaurs. Oh yeah thats right, I almost forgot......he's a Jehovah's Witness.

For that many people to claim to have seen something, there has to fire if there's smoke right? I was thinking about the flipside of uncontacted peoples such as in South America. It was last year I think when Nat Geo had photos of some people painted in red and black who've never been contacted by modern man, and they started throwing spears at the helicopter. Is it possible that in remote areas of Siberia that there are people who haven't been contacted and avoid civilization? Considering how people's bodies adapt to their enviroment, such as the Amazons who can walk around barefoot in the jungle whereas you and I can't. Is it possible that there are humans in Siberia who have adapted to its harsh winter enviroments and have hair covering them similar to fur? I can't believe I'm considering these possibilities.....what a lack of a life.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

My favorite episode! lol There's a difference between looking for new species, and looking for mythical creatures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmAucdY8z7k

• james_woods
    james_woods
    You sound like my dad. For years he didn't believe in the Wooly Mammoth until a couple were found well preserved in ice. He still refuses to believe in the Sabre Tooth Tiger or Dinosaurs. Oh yeah thats right, I almost forgot......he's a Jehovah's Witness.

So, I guess he became a Jehovah's Witness AFTER they quit printing that picture of a dinosaur walking across Africa in the inside cover of the NWT?

I am perfectly willing to believe in the Yeti, the Sasquatch, the Loch Ness monster, or anything else - if you can show me scientific physical evidence.

Same reasons I believe in the Wooly Mammoth, the Sabretooth Tiger, the Dinosaurs, or the Ceolocanth.

Until there is evidence, I am a doubting agnostic on the subject.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit