Electronic Cigarettes

by WontLeave 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Has anyone heard or had any first-hand experience with the Society's reaction to electronic cigarettes? None of the arguments used against real cigarettes hold water against e-cigs. All of the dangerous chemicals are out. The only conceivable "harmful" aspect is nicotine, which is only about as harmful as caffeine. So, now we have a product that delivers nicotine in a way that's approximately equivalent to drinking coffee.

There is no second-hand smoke (as there is no smoke, at all) to harm anyone else. It doesn't stink up your clothes and furniture, so it's not a "dirty habit". That nasty "smokers' cough" is eliminated. While the FDA hasn't cleared e-cigs as healthy - in fact, in typical government fashion are grasping at straws to make them appear harmful, possibly paving a way for taxation rivaling that of cigarettes - logic would indicate the health risks are within the margin for error of "time and unforeseen circumstances".

Using e-cigs is vastly less expensive than smoking, with all the tobacco taxes. Even the catch-all term banning the use by JWs of "tobacco products" doesn't apply, as the nicotine is derived from tomatoes, to avoid any ATF jurisdiction. I'm sure most JWs would argue "appearances", since everything about the mentality of members is making a display for other people.

I'm just wondering if e-cigs have been addressed, and if so, whether they are classified as "smoking", thus a DFing offence. I know many people here have opinions they love to air, but unless you're on the GB and your opinion will have some bearing, I'm not really looking for that; just actual knowledge or experience with a JC. At least in a JC, the elders would write the Society, since they can't wipe their butts without permission and instruction from NY, so their response would mirror the Society's position.

I can't bear reading the dumbed-down, opinionated rantings of the writing committee anymore, so if the subject has been addressed, I won't have seen it. There's nothing on the CD-ROM or online that I can find.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I didn't know they and nicotine in them , I did hear you can get menthol in them..my grandson got in on some deal on the computer and has a box of then to sell for $75. He said that is a bargain..

As hooked as I used to be on cigarettes I would probably get hooked on the E cigarette.although it did sound tempting if it has nicotine in them I would stay away from them.

I doubt the society would approve of them as they may stumble someone..

Nicotine or not..

Snoozy

• sir82
    sir82

Interesting points.

There has been nothing written on it that I recall - certainly nothing major. Maybe there was a "Watching the World" type article on it at some point.

I doubt the Society feels the need to comment much on it. Few new members come "from the field", and the born-in JW culture is strongly anti-tobacco 9and thus has no incentive to pick up e-cigs).

• undercover
    undercover
    The only conceivable "harmful" aspect is nicotine...

There's the damning ingredient. Nicotine. Remember, smoking is a DFing offense for it's links to spiritism as much as it is for it being addictive or nasty habit. The drug that links the smokers to the demons is nicotine, so whether you roll your own, buy cigarettes from RJ Reynolds or Phillip Morris, your cigars from Cuba, or get your nicotine hit through an e-cig, it's still a DFing offense.

Per the WTS, that is:

Watchtower June 1, 1973

13 "The drug . . . that causes the addiction is nicotine. . . . Within a minute or two after a person ‘takes a drag’ on a cigarette, nicotine is present in the brain. But 20 to 30 minutes after the ‘last drag,’ most of the nicotine has left the brain for other organs . . . . This is just about the time when the smoker needs another cigarette. . . . When there is no nicotine, the body ‘hungers’ for it. So much so that the body sometimes becomes ‘sick’ without it. Withdrawalsymptoms—a sick feeling—begin. . . . Some of these symptoms are drowsiness, headaches, stomach upsets, sweating, and irregular heart beats."

14 Even worldly governments have been moved to issue serious warnings against the danger of tobacco use. Do, then, persons who have not broken their addiction to tobacco qualify for baptism?

15 The Scriptural evidence points to the conclusion that they do not. As has been explained in other issues of this magazine, the Greek word phar·ma·ki´a used by Bible writers and translated "practice of spiritism" or "spiritistic practices" has the initial meaning of "druggery." (Gal. 5:20; Rev. 9:21) The term came to refer to spiritistic practices because of the close connection between the use of drugs and spiritism. Tobacco was also used initially by the American Indians in this way. It can properly be placed, therefore, in the category of addictive drugs like those that provided the source for the Greek term phar·ma·ki´a.

------------------

31 "‘And I will come near to you people for the judgment, and I will become a speedy witness against the sorcerers [phar·ma·kous´—according to the Greek Septuagint], and against the adulterers, and against those swearing falsely, and against those acting fraudulently with the wages of a wage worker, with the widow and with the fatherless boy, and those turning away the alien resident, while they have not feared me,’ Jehovah of armies has said."

32 Note that the first ones whom Jehovah mentions as the targets of his speedy witness regarding their wrongdoing are the "sorcerers." The Greek SeptuagintVersion, as translated by Alexandrian Jews before Christ, rendered "sorcerers" by the Greek word phar·ma·kous´. This is the same word used in Revelation 21:8, where some translators render it as "sorcerers," but the NewWorldTranslation renders it as "those practicing spiritism." The ancient sorcerers indeed practiced spiritism. The Greek word applied to them literally means "druggers," not "druggists" such as "pharmacists." The ancient sorcerers were the drugpushers of their day.

33 The pre-Christian Greek SeptuagintVersion uses the related Greek word phar´ma·kon (meaning literally "drug," but translated as "sorcery") at least five times. Idolatrous Queen Jezebel of ancient Israel practiced such phar´ma·kon (in the plural number) or "sorcery." (2 Ki. 9:22, LXX) She was executed by King Jehu acting as Jehovah’s executioner. Those who patronized the professional "sorcerers" or practicers of spiritism also participated in spiritistic practices and were condemned.

34 It is little wonder, then, that, in these days of widespread addiction to drugs and the growing use of tobacco, those indulging in such things should come under judicial observation. Jehovah God, the Supreme Judge, is at his spiritual temple and is specially scrutinizing those who profess to worship him in that holy place. He has promised to be a speedy witness against the sorcerers or the practicers of spiritism, which from ancient times onward had a connection with habit-forming, enslaving drugs.

35 Do we want to have Jehovah God be a speedy witness against us as addicts to drugs or other habit-forming injurious weeds, things that expose us to the influence of the spirit demons? Jehovah’s judgment against such addicts during the oncoming "great tribulation" will mean their destruction. (Rev. 21:8) Most assuredly, Jehovah God does not want such addicts among the congregation of his Christian witnesses now in this "conclusion of the system of things." Of the promised "New Jerusalem," Revelation 22:15 says: "Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritism [the druggers, KingdomInterlinear translation] and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie."

36 Therefore, with a feeling of a deep sense of responsibility to Jehovah God, these instructions are issued. It is accordingly the duty of the elders, as spiritual overseers of God’s flock, to see to it that such undesirable elements are not accepted as approved, baptized members of congregations of Jehovah’s Christian witnesses.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Electronic cigarettes are not totally safe--but they are 99% better than the real thing. They do have nicotine (though some products have cartridges without nicotine). They contain water, propylene glycol, and flavoring in addition to nicotine. The propylene glycol poses a small health risk, but it is much less than the tar in a real cigarette. And they are almost 100% fire safe--you can use an electronic cigarette in bed without starting a fire (the only way to start a fire with one requires shorting out the battery). I do not recommend using these things if you already don't smoke, and children should not be encouraged to start using these things if they don't already smoke.

Now, if you already smoke, using the electronic cigarette is better than the gum or patch. I recommend using the White Cloud system based on reviews (I never smoked, so I wouldn't use one of these myself). This has the fewest reports of problems like leaky cartridges, battery faults, and product failures. It is also the most expensive--and yes, I did research the ratings on these things out of curiosity. But, refills are cheaper with the White Cloud, and with the high ratings and low rates of problems with White Cloud versus other brands, you are more likely to actually not miss the real thing. Cheaper brands are apt to be less satisfying and more likely to cause problems.

Short of not smoking, the electronic cigarettes are better. You get 99% less poison with the electronic version than the real thing. They are harder to ruin by breaking or soaking. You don't need an ashtray (so no one can put water in the ashtray to ruin it like with the real thing). No second hand smoke--which, besides an irritant and health hazard, can ruin electronics in your house and is a waste of product). You only consume what you are actually going to use--if you only want one or two puffs at this time, you don't waste a whole cigarette. You don't start fires (unless you short out the battery and then get it hot enough to catch fire, which is much harder than a real cigarette). There is no lighting it, so you can use it in very windy conditions. You can use it in non-smoking areas, even if no ashtray is provided. (You can just take one puff as desired, and put it right back in your pocket. Try that with the real thing.) You can use it outdoors without worrying about dumping the butts. You generate one empty cartridge instead of 25-40 butts. And they are cheaper--refills that replace a carton of cigarettes are going to cost less than the $90 that the real thing will cost.

Now, for the Washtowel's inflexible stand. They don't seem to get that most of the health risks are gone, and there is no second hand smoke with an electronic cigarette. The blanket ban stands. Besides, the cartridges still contain nicotine (though you can get them without). And the $200 that the White Cloud starter pack costs (or $90 and under for lesser brands, plus those lesser brands use more expensive and less satisfying and/or reliable refills) could be better used for the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. Besides, why would they give Grandma (who simply can't quit smoking) a break?

• Dis-Member

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit