How to question their beliefs

by Scarlouie 9 Replies latest social current

• Scarlouie
    Scarlouie

I questioned my Mom today about Beth Sarim. She of course had never heard of it, even after 40 years as a JW. Neither of my sisters have every heard of the 1976 predictions either, they are both born in with elders as husbands. I challenged my Mom with this lack of knowledge about their religeon, her only comments is why should they focus on past mistakes. When I challenge the current end of days doctrine and this generation, she tried to convince me that I must have misunderstood as a child and that the end was just "soon" and that no one had predicted the generation / 1914. When I finally convinced her this contradicts what she taught me for 20 years, she explained that it was just a mistake and that "new light" would be brought forth at the end with "new understanding". How can you compete with this? How can I possible convice her to think? I spent more time researching a car purchase than she will ever spend researching the validy of her own religeon.

Frustrated.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

When you hear the term, "NEW LIGHT", you will forget about "OLD LIGHT"

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You have to get a bit more cunning Scarlouie.

Don't tell them stuff they don't want to hear.

Ask questions they feel they should be able to answer. Ask in a way that makes them want to answer.

Try to use subjects that they have the reference material for on their bookshelf or WTCD or better still, already in their heads.

If you tell them something and make a mistake they will use it against you. E.g. There was no prediction for 1976. If you had asked them a question that led them to discover that the WT had stuffed up over 1975, you wouldn't have made a mistake, and if you were mistaken yourself, it wouldn't matter, as you hadn't made any claims about it.

Don't hit them with a barrage of questions. That just gives them the opportunity to pick the one they like best, convince themselves it is not an important question, then reach the conclusion that all of your questions are as meaningless as that one.

Above all, don't out yourself as apostate. They told you how to ID apostates from the platform. Remember those lessons. Use them to your advantage.

Chris

• wasblind
    wasblind

" When I finally convinced her this contradicts what she taught me for 20 years, she explained that it was just a mistake and that "new light" would be brought forth at the end with "new understanding". How can you compete with this? "

Proverbs 4:18 " But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established."

Proverbs don't say nothin' bout new light, it talks about greater understanding of the original light ( truth ) which will become brighter

and as it becomes brighter it will not change the original light (truth ) but enhance it, add to it, never takes away from it

The WTS says " New Light " because that's exactly what it is to them, when they change doctrine they change the old light blub

with whatever's available, be it a 60, 40, 25, 15 Watt, just slap it in and call it new light

• Ding
    Ding

Black Sheep makes some very good points.

If you challenge the WTS directly, they will defend it to the death.

Instead, be "puzzled" over various things the WT has said and when they give you a half-baked explanation tell them, "Boy, sorry, I just don't get it."

Then they will be the frustrated ones.

As good JWs, it's up to them to come up with answers for everything that troubles you.

This won't always "work" in the sense of getting them to question the organization like you are, but it will bother them that they can't come up with an answer that satisfies you.

Also, listen to their own questions, no matter how trivial they may seem to you.

Draw them out regarding what they mean by their questions.

In other words, focus on what's bugging THEM even if it doesn't bother you at all.

• Scarlouie
    Scarlouie

Good points and I use these techniques all the time professionally. But when it is personal, my family. I let my emotions get the better of me. I am very good at ignoring it and pretending that we do not have this huge wall of difference between us. But when I try to discuss it, 40 years of frustration comes out all at once. I am sure after the first couple of facts I threw at her, she quit listening.

Thanks for the tips

• VIII
    VIII

It's hard not to. I have tried to death with my Mom.

Her standard response to anything New System related: "Jehovah will take care of us"

I stumped her on tooth brushing and flossing. How? She didn't have an answer. Even Jehovah hasn't figured that one out.

All the above suggestions are very good. The moment you hear "you must have misunderstood" step back and let it go for the moment. She's shutting down.

Try Steve Hassan's books on mind control and cults. Very helpful.

Because, it's a C-U-L-T. Remember that.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

According to De 18:20-22

20 “‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?” 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.’

WTS claims they are directed by God, only God's organization, Jehovah and Jesus trust them.....

If that's the case they preached to the public that 1914 was the end not the beginning

preached Jesus returned in 1874 for 50 years before changing their mind

preached 1925 more biblical than 1914 and ancient worthies to be raised up

preached million won't die, won't finish school all before end comes

preached 1975 significant year, and emphasized that the end was so close if they were off, they might be off by months or few years

wouldn't none of the above imply that wts is a false prophet, if not what makes a false prophet a false prophet? All they claim is based on the bible, the word of God, wouldn't that equate to God speaking and telling them what to preach through his word the bible?

If they preach something today that may be changed in the future (obviously not come true) they are guilty of being false prophets to the nations.

It's hard to reason with anyone when cult mentality kicks in. Good luck

• Scarlouie
    Scarlouie

OK VIII

You can not leave me hanging with the tooth brush and flossing? Explain please

• yesidid
    yesidid

You could ask why the WBTS mentions (regularly) the Inquisition and past sins of the Catholic Church.

After all they don't do those things anymore. Perhaps they've had new light?

Good for the goose good for the gander eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit