Re: Shepherding Textbook in Digital Format

by suavojr 39 Replies latest jw friends

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    Obviously you don't understand Deaf culture and ASL. The best way to understand is ASL is like any other foreign language. A person who is born deaf has ASL as their first language; English is their second language. They will always understand ASL better, just like someone who grew up speaking English will always understand it better than Spanish or another second language.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Ah, thanks time lord.

this was tuly needed, because ASL congregants need to be 'shepherded' (watched, marked, judged) just like their hearing counterparts! Equality for all!!

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    Seriously. I've recently experienced the 'shepherding'.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Tim: Obviously you don't understand Deaf culture and ASL.

No, I don't.

But I do know that many, maybe even most, deaf people can read.

How would you put ASL in written form in a book? Can you please explain?

• pronomono
    pronomono
    ASL people formulate thoughts differently than those of us who speak english. For example, we would say "Do you like studying ASL?" An ASL person would say(sign) "ASL, you like study?". This comes from a very, very basic understanding overhearing some things that my mom discussed when she first started learning. I can't confirm, but I would think that if they were to make an ASL version of the Shepherding book, they would write in English the way an ASL person would think (ASL grammar) instead of the way we would think. I've never seen an ASL book like this, though. It would be interesting.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

pronomo, thanks for sharing your insights, speculative though they are.

You reminded me of a tract we used to have that was written for the deaf. The syntax was as you described.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    I stepped in some poo. Sorry for the stank. I am corrected.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Seriously. I've recently experienced the 'shepherding.'

Welcome to the forum, tim3l0rd!

I've got a buddy in an ASL cong who loves Dr. Who too. He's full in, though. No matter how much I wish it, I know he'd never post on here. I've already written him and our group of friends off realizing when I fade I won't be able to take them with me.

Sad thing what this org does to friendships and families.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Wow. At this point they must be figuring, What the hell. . . . It's already googleable/downloadable to the Forces of Evil that so desire. . .

HAHA! It's only Elders that don't have it in digital format!

I had it (thanks to certain members here) before it was released to our local Elders.

Doc

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    This thing isn't going to have any sort of digital watermarks or viruses. Stop worrying. Someone needs to upload it to here though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit