Detroit Free Press Article (Arts): Now that I've changed my life, and I have the power to say, 'This is what I want to do.' "

by AndersonsInfo 1 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/arts/2015/04/04/art-detroit-festival-kresge/25266961/

Carl Wilson's "The Flow of Water," for example, is a 6-minute animated film in a surreal visual language that tells the story of a woman struggling to find herself. It's a parable for Wilson's own experience, breaking free from the strictly controlled life he lived for 30 years as a Jehovah's Witness.

Artist Carl Wilson with part of an installation heBuy Photo

Artist Carl Wilson with part of an installation he is working on at the Carr Center in Detroit.

To watch the film, viewers will step inside a 10-foot-by-10-foot structure that Wilson says will be akin to walking into a three-dimensional version of one of his prints, populated with favorite imagery. "It's like stepping into an alternative reality," said the 58-year-old artist.

"I want my audience to share the experience with me now that I've changed my life, and I have the power to say, 'This is what I want to do.' "

If there is a broader message for Detroit, Wilson said, it's that the city and its people have the power to defy expectations, to chart their own future.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Awesome. Good for him!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit