Saturday mornings as a young Jehovah's Witness

by trevorbv 5 Replies latest jw friends

• trevorbv
    trevorbv

Just found this today on reedit. Pretty funny . My parents were not so zealous, they rarelly went preaching on Saturday when I was a kid. They were rather materialistic, so we had to do other kind of "field work" - agriculture. It sucked anyway.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

This is WINNING all over the place. nicely done.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

My hubby's family were very zealous-they went out every Saturday rain or shine. And to make matters worse, the field service meeting was held at his house. One time, there was a big snowfall and his parents decided not to go out-very rare for them.

The hubby said he was so happy he was going to be able to watch cartoons-Hong Kong Phuey, Scooby Doo, Fat Albert, etc.... Well, much to his dismay, one family showed up for service and they ended up goin out with them door to door. He was heartbroken. We laugh about it now, but at the time, he said it wasn't so funny.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    he was so happy he was going to be able to watch cartoons ... they ended up goin out with them door to door. He was heartbroken.

I remember those feelings - getting excited about no field service and then having the 'reprieve' retracted. I think those were some of the WORST days in service.

Best Saturday? One Saturday for some reason my mom and her friend decided that we would ditch the group after the meeting for service. We went to the new Great Adventure Wild Animal Park in New Jersey. Forget the name of it but we had soo much fun! It might have been a little drizzly. But us kids sure didn't care one bit. It's been almost 40 years and I still remember the elation~!!

It was better than a 'Snow Day' from school.

-Aude.

• FollowedMyHeart
    FollowedMyHeart

I remember waking up and being excited for service. Why????? The ONLY reason: Donuts at 10:30!!!

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

HATED SATURDAY SERVICE ( which is so ironic since I love saturday now).

I remember being an extremely awckward teenager with a gigantic zit on my lip and wishing a hoping against all odds that my parents would show some compassion and let me stay home - just that once. I was always such a dutiful daughter, couldn't they give me one saturday to hide my zit riddled face at home? Afterall I did look like I got punched in the lip ! Nope...

I think I hid my face in my hair all morning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit