Mickey Mouse & Santa Claus & JWs

by ARoarer 8 Replies latest jw friends

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Ok everyone, I have had this on my mind since I decided to celebrate Christmas this year for the first time since I became a JW at 19. I stopped because I was taught it was "Pagan" and "Idolatrous", and now on thinking clearly and with no JW's clouding my thoughts at meetings, I have reasoned personally, yes, JWs will say that Christmas is pagan and Santa Claus is a pagan lie to children. And Christmas is so commercialized and materialism is at it's finest. Yet when I think critically with powers of reasoning I see that though JWs don't celebrate Christmas, they love to go to Disney World. At least the ones that I know do. So my question is what is the difference between Mickey Mouse and Santa Claus. Don't JWs do the same thing when they take the kids to Disney and put the little ones on Mickeys lap to sign their autographs, and give them hugs, and believe that this is Really Mickey Mouse? Why don't they tell the little ones not to believe in Mickey, he's really a pagan man dressed up in a Mickey Mouse costume just like Santa Claus. Is this a double standard or what?

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

Not if you look at the issue through JW Glasses.

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

The same thing could be said about the pagan origins of clocks and calendars... interacting with the world by getting a drivers license... your photograph being a graven image and idolatry.

It all depends on who looks at it and how much authority that person has in the org. Some things like the blood and holiday issues take on a life and momentum of their own.

It’s all BS.

• Geordie
    Geordie

Is COCA-COLA "apostate"?
    After all, it was them that invented the image of santa claus the we have all come to know and love.

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

What????!!!...........Mickey Mouse isn't real?????? Well at least I still have Goofy!!.......I do don't I????

Shimmer

Your diamonds are not in far distant mountains or in yonder seas; they are in your own backyard, if you but dig for them.----------Russell H. Conwell

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

I get a kick out of teasing my fundy christian friends that because of the GLOBAL spread of everything Disney, that Mickey Mouse has to be the Anti-Christ.

They call Disneyland "The Happiest Place on Earth" (Of course, the world's HAPPIEST people love going there). Everyone is smiling, and the grounds are kept spotless. Then, when it comes time to buy a hamburger, and it costs 6 bucks, the illusion of "happiness" is demolished faster than one can say "M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E".

WTS and Disney, both businesses need illusion to thrive. A positive public image is of top priority. And both are money making machines concerned with nothing more than their own survival.

Andee

You can take a whore to water, but you can't make her think-Dorothy Parker

• Solace
    Solace

A similar example I gave to my J.W. family, a Christmas tree in your home is no different then any other floral arrangment in your home. When I start worshipping it they can have reason to worry. Seriously, I believe the no Christmas rule is the W.T.S way of once again seperating family during a very family oriented celebration of the birth of Jesus, This hurting your family and causing them to think you are shunning them. Most J.W.s believe the teaching that the W.T.S is the only family they need. "We are your spiritual family" they say. Most think it is a just minor issue but the end result is a huge gain for the W.T.S.

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Heaven, it is another tactic to re-inforce that shunning is normal not an act of passive agression. Also the GB used to celebrate Christmas, tree and all. I think they came up with the idea of not celebrating it also because they didn't want to spend the bucks on giving presents to each other[:}]

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Goldustwoman I know witnesses who love being happy in Mickey land until they have to fork over the money to the "Rat" as they say

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit