Nisan chart in Feb 1 Watchtower

by jws 10 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

A couple of local JWs dropped off some magazines last week and I'm browsing through the 2-1-2011 Watchtower. On pages 23 and 24, they have a chart showing the days leading up to and following Jesus's death.

Something struck me as weird. Along with the Nisan dates, they have the equivalent date for this year. For instance, they list 2011 - Wed, April 13 and then list that Nisan 10 begins at sunset on that day.

The weird thing is that they also list 2012 and 2013, but no dates. So they show 2011 and the date, but not the same for the next 2 years.

So, does that mean they are expecting the end to come before the Passover in 2012, so no need to list dates.

And why only up to 2013? If they list 2014, would that stand out and remind people it's been nearly 100 years since 1914?

• baltar447
    baltar447

Don't they have to see when the actual winter solstice ends before being able to calculate the exact date?

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

I thought you could calculate the passover dates decades in advance?

• shepherd
    shepherd
    201117 April after sundown
    20125 April after sundown
    201326 March after sundown
    201414 April after sundown
    20153 April after sundown
    201622 March after sundown
    201710 April after sundown
    201830 March after sundown
    201920 March after sundown
    20207 April after sundown
  • wobble
    wobble

There were some interesting threads on here some good while ago that showed that the WT understanding of when the Last Supper took place is wrong. Dear Joseph Malik ,may he R.I.P, had a bit to say on it.

So whenever they hold their Reject Jesus Meeting it is at the wrong time ! Tee Hee (can they not get one thing right?)

• jws
    jws

Why even list 2012 and 2013 if they don't have dates for it? Seems a bit odd. Like somebody forgot to complete the chart or something.

Or they're trying to hint there won't be a 2012 or 2013.

• Robdar
    Robdar

According to the Jewish Calendar, Passover in 2011 will start on Tuesday, the 19th of April and will continue for 7 days until Monday, the 25th of April. BTW, according to the Jews, the official date of Passover is Nisan 15.

Robyn (one of the forum's Jewish members)

• jws
    jws

On page 22, they acknowledge that they use a different date from "modern-day Jews" and have a footnote:

This date may not coincide with that of the Passover kept by modern-day Jews. Why not? Most Jews today keep the Passover on Nisan 15, believing that the command at Exodus 12:6 points to that date. (See The Watchtower of February 15, 1990, page 14.) But Jesus celebrated it on Nisan 14 in harmony with what was started in the Mosaic Law. For mor information on how to calculate this date, see The Watchtower of June 15, 1977, pages 383-384.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My impression is simply that the chart is something that can be clipped and saved and reused.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    On page 22, they acknowledge that they use a different date from "modern-day Jews" and have a footnote:

Why I cant imagine why I should believe the Jews over Jehovah's appointed organization. I mean, it's only a Jewish holiday. What do the Jews know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit