"Religion...is the Opium of the People" - What did Marx Mean?

by cofty 82 Replies latest social current

• beksbks
    beksbks

Religion in general, though comes from a completely different place in the psyche of humanity.

Prehistoric cave paintings were religious in nature. They worshipped what they ate. In oppressive civilizations you worship what eats you, if you catch my drift. In the case of Christianity, it deadens you to the pain of being 'eaten'. Christianity is indeed an anaesthetic.

The religious impulse is simply a way to organize the world in the mind of the believer so that things make sense. That doesn't necessarily mean that the religion is rational but that the psyche, ego or whatever you call it, needs a framework of ideas to give the world meaning. It is basically a narrative, a story of stories, that we learn and recite to ourselves, whenever something perplexing needs explanation.

In it's original, uncorrupted form it's simply a way of making sense of life and the world.

True, but as soon as a society includes a ruling class, it needs a tool to rule. Religion works so well. Look at America today. "Family values" and jesus have managed to make a big chunk of the country work against thier own best interests.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hmmm that makes me think of the euphoria aspect of the drug opium. Religion also makes people feel superior to others. They know better.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Beksbks: "True, but as soon as a society includes a ruling class, it needs a tool to rule."

Bekie, I did state it in rather abstract terms but I meant to say the same thing you did.

"I believe that religion becomes (not originates from) a projection of the civilization/society in which people live. To the extent that the society is oppressive so will their religions be."

Villabolo

• villabolo
    villabolo

The following is an example of what Christianity is all about. It's an early 20 th century song that parodies the idea of ignoring the issues of the present and seeking solace in future dreams.

Long-haired preachers come out every night,
    Try to tell you what's wrong and what's right;
    But when asked how 'bout something to eat
    They will answer with voices so sweet:

Chorus:
    You will eat, bye and bye,
    In that glorious land above the sky;
    Work and pray, live on hay,
    You'll get pie in the sky when you die.

The starvation army they play,
    They sing and they clap and they pray
    'Till they get all your coin on the drum
    Then they'll tell you when you're on the bum:

Holy Rollers and jumpers come out,
    They holler, they jump and they shout.
    Give your money to Jesus they say,
    He will cure all diseases today.
    If you fight hard for children and wife
    Try to get something good in this life
    You're a sinner and bad man, they tell,
    When you die you will sure go to hell.

Workingmen of all countries, unite,
    Side by side we for freedom will fight;
    When the world and its wealth we have gained
    To the grafters we'll sing this refrain:

You will eat, bye and bye,
    When you've learned how to cook and to fry.
    Chop some wood, 'twill do you good,
    And you'll eat in the sweet bye and bye.

Villabolo

• villabolo
    villabolo

Beks, PM.

Villabolo

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

What came out about Grey Owl?

His reputation was tarnished unfairly after his death. He was depicted as a poser because he was a civilised British gentleman who presented himself as a seasoned outdoorsman and he never made mention of his pampered roots. Truth be told, he accomplished much to conserve natural resources in Canada and he is being recognised for that more now. The illustration I was presenting is that nobody's immune to criticism, no matter how much he or she accomplishes in life. We need to give credit where it is due. Like to Karsh who took Belaney's portrait and helped transform him into a legend.

• beksbks
    beksbks

But Nickolas just as Grey Owl is now being appreciated as he was unfairly maligned, there are those who were given undeserved recognition and are subsequently...................brought down from their pedestal. Mother Teresa and Ronald Reagan being two perfect examples.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Religion also makes people feel superior to others. They know better.

While that seems to be the case many times, it should NOT be the case.

Arrogance, conceit and a "know better" attitude is a sign of not enough understanding of Christ ( for a christian of course).

You guys keep saying that it drives people to disregard THIS world in the favout of the "next world" and for soem, yes that is the case, but you guys also KNOW that is NOT the case for the majority.

They live for this life, they love for this life, they do their best to make THIS world a better place.

They contribute, the give to causes, they help the needy and the sick and they form support structres, they are environmentalists and idealists and believe in safe guarding today for the future of their kids.

Sure some fringe groups like the JW's don't, but they are just that, fringe groups.

Lumping all religious people together with the fringe groups is like lumping all atheists together with the likes of Stalin, Mao, the ruling party in Albania, the Ethiopian regime that cause 10's of 1000's of deaths, etc.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

But Nickolas just as Grey Owl is now being appreciated as he was unfairly maligned, there are those who were given undeserved recognition and are subsequently...................brought down from their pedestal. Mother Teresa and Ronald Reagan being two perfect examples.

Exactly my point. Grey Owl was lionised during the final years of his life, maligned several years after his death, then appreciated again. Which way's the wind blowing?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Sorry PSac, in my own personal experience with christians (which is pretty extensive) I have found few who don't have the superiority complex. Look at your own post. You juxtapose glowing motivations and accomplishments of christians, with extreme negative examples of supposed atheists. Lol and no mention at all of other religions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit