"Religion...is the Opium of the People" - What did Marx Mean?

by cofty 82 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

Well meeting was long and contentious, as the late Bill Shankley said - "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

cofty do you follow the rest of Marx's programme or just the abolition of religion bit? To me it reads as though the abandonment of religion is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for the emancipation of the oppressed masses. - Slimboyfat

To be honest I am no expert in matters of politics. I was interested to listen to Christopher Hitchens recently when he reminisced about his youthful devotion to radical Marxism. In retropsect he sees it not only as nonsense but as dangerous nonsense. Its easy to see the appeal of Marxist ideals but in the real world they seem to take no account of human nature and try to enforce on society how it "ought" to be rather than work pragmatically from where it is. And in the words of Forrest Gump "that's all I got to say 'bout that"

I have to agree with his general observation about religion though. Belief in an after-life and in justice to come is bound to have an effect on how hard society works to build a fairer world now. It's here that I have to take issue with your post PSacramento, I don't think this effect if reduced in any way if we are talking about personal religion or organised religion. Marx' main objection was to the analgesic effect of the false promises of religious belief rather than the control mechanisms of religious organisations.

We see this developing theme through the bible. In the OT there is a cosy assumption that the world is just and fair and that the path of the righteous gets brighter and brighter etc. The books of Ecclesiastes and Job dare to challenge this and point out the harsh reality of the world where injustice prevails.

The concpet of rewards and punishments in an afterlife is a later post-exile development and combined with an apocalyptic expectation provides the perfect excuse to put up with things that we ought to rage against.

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." (Romans 8:18)

"Christ, who suffered for you, is your example. Follow in his steps." (1 Peter 2:21)

"rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed." (1st Peter 4:12-13)

If this life is the totality of our lives, as I believe it is, then let's not make a virute out of enduring suffering - let's do everything in our power to stop it. Let's not forgive our enemies let's stop them in their tracks so we can get on with enjoying the remainder of our short lives.

Stop taking the opium, feel the pain of reality be empowered to make reality the best possible.

• dgp
  • satinka
    satinka

I watched a movie once called "The Life of Brian" where a group of people thought that someone was the Messiah and began to follow in a mesmerized fashion...like they were on drugs. Religion is like a drug when people stop using their free will and instead listen to every word of their leader, no matter how stupid.

They become "sheeple" when they give up their capacity to think on their own and, instead, just want to follow blindly.

satinka

• glenster
    glenster

Various philosophers have said similar things. I'll hazard an interpretation
    that it means religion is a plus in being a comfort to people about the problems
    of the world, and on the down side can be something they immerse themselves in
    instead of contributing to solving the problems of the world. It has application
    as far as it's true, but I wouldn't take it as a blanket rule. You could equally
    say TV or rock music are the opiates of the people, generalizing about many of
    society who don't contribute to helping about the problems but would rather enjoy
    those things. It doesn't mean you can't like some TV, rock music, or believe in
    God (or not) and want to affect positive change in the world, as the many who are
    helpful that way may enjoy those things, too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_of_the_people

I wouldn't get all "Lawyer Jack" about applying it to videogames, either.

• cofty
    cofty

But would you not agree that religion is a uniquely powerful anesthesia? TV and music may distract people from their circumstances but religion alone numbs people into accepting injustice with the false promise of an afterlife where everything will be well.

• d
    d

I Agree with Karl Marx religion is like a drug.It has been used since the begining of time as a means to control people.Stripping them of free thought and critical thinking.

• cofty
    cofty

I agree, it's not possible to accept the claims of religion without suspending your critical thinking skills. Perhaps it is also part of the problem of religion that it teaches us to give unthinking allegiance to a concept.

Uncritical commitment to a political system, to a religion, to a nation or to a sports team is all the same kind of error.

I am passionate about football but I can't go along with the fan mentality towards any particular team for this reason.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Football the opium of the people.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

but religion alone numbs people into accepting injustice with the false promise of an afterlife where everything will be well.

That almost seems to insinuate the believers do nothing to make this life any better and THAT is not the case and there is plenty of evidence for that.

I think that SOME can very easilt become fatalistic of they take "part" of the message and not the whole but I think that virtually any ideology can be "perverted" that way.

Look at all the Christian organizations that work to help make THIS world a better place.

I Agree with Karl Marx religion is like a drug.It has been used since the begining of time as a means to control people.Stripping them of free thought and critical thinking.

Don't you think that this is rather an insult to all those that are believers and are critical thinkers, scientists, philosophers, historians, scholars, etc, etc?

I believe myself to be a critical thinker and I am a believer and in my circle of friends I have believers ( as well as atheists) from various religions and they are all critical thinkers.

We question, we ask, we don't blindly accept, we thirst for knowledge, we keep an opne mind, we admit to ourselves that we don't know everything, we are open to discussion and to even being wrong.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Look at all the Christian organizations that work to help make THIS world a better place.

Yes, but making this world a better place is not at the top of their agenda, PSac. I donate often to secular charities but steadfastly refuse to support Christian organisations because I know my dollars will be used to keep some kid from starving or to cure a miserable leper and then the real purpose of the charitable work takes place, conversion of those made to feel obliged to whatever flavour of Christianity accompanies the food or the medicines. For those who take offense, consider how much you contribute to Muslim organisations.

What would really make this world a better place is the dawning of worldwide secularism. But I'm not holding my breath.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit