Faith on the March

by Vanderhoven7 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

A JW just recommended the following book to me. I think I will look for a Mormon testimonial book to suggest he read. :o)
    Faith on the March A.H. Macmillan Copyright 1957

PART O NE

"CALLED
    OUT OF
    DARKNESS"

Page 3
    A TURNING-POINT
    Chapter 1

I AM A WHITE-HAIRED OLD MAN, in my eightieth year of life, as I begin to tell you these facts. For nigh onto sixty years I have been associated with a movement that today is commanding world attention on a widening scale. It is a religious movement that has seemed new and recent to millions of people, a movement that has been fought tooth, tongue and pen by the dominant religions of this world, a movement that has been misrepresented, persecuted, cursed and damned, prayed against to the God of heaven, and subjected to mobbing, bans, confiscation and proscriptions, driven underground by Nazi, Fascist and Communist dictators, all this under the influence of religious leaders, all of them together up in arms against this lone movement. I know. I have gone through enough of it along with this movement to know whereof I speak and write. I myself have spent nine long months in prison for my faith before I was released with my fellow-sufferers and then cleared of all the untrue charges that put us behind bars. Since then I have talked to hundreds of young men likewise put behind bars for their faith. In the course of the years I have traveled through many countries, including Palestine where Jesus and the apostles preached the same message; talked to hundreds of thousands of people from the public platform, frequently through the aid of an interpreter, yes, and from house to house as the apostles did; and at present it is my privilege to address untold numbers by the modern means of radio over a pioneer station in New York City, answering people's questions, giving them Bible counsel delivered straight from the shoulder. From the horse-and-buggy days, when as a young lad I learned to handle an ox-cart, I have lived down through the years into this age of jet- propulsion and thermonuclear explosives, through two world wars into the most terrifying situation of all human history. But I'm not afraid, for being with this religious movement has made me fearless of the future. I'm not afraid of what is ahead of the human race in the purposes of the great Creator, even though come, as it must, the worst time of trouble that mankind has ever experienced. To know a movement you've got to live with it, even be an official in it, as I have been. Besides that, I have lived through to the end of two presidencies of the religious society that governs this movement, and I'm now living under the presidency of the third man in that office in the Society. I've seen things grow, I've seen the understanding of things clear up, I've gone through the ups and downs of this religious movement. Yet I am holding on, and that with more zest than ever before. More than ever I am convinced that it is right, that it has the truth, that it is giving a right lead to all the people of good will throughout the earth. Why?

http://www.e-cepher.com/books/fotm/1faith.html

• wobble
    wobble

I bet he won't read a testimonial from any other religion Van, try though, I wish you luck.

Macmillan was there from the early days, a toady of Rutherford, the book won't enlighten you much, apart from re-affirming how deluded some people can be, especially when they live their life in the protected bubble of WT headquarters.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I wonder if your JW friend might be able to find a pro-Borg book written by an impartial observer with no JW connections.

• wobble
    wobble

He would probably come up with Marley Cole's "Jehovah's Witnesses- The New World Society " written about 1956 I believe, if so , this would not be an impartial book, Cole was very pro the JW's at the time he wrote, and i believe became one later.

If memory serves, he got the manuscript approved by the WT before publication, hardly an impartial pro-borg book.

No such book could possibly exist could it ?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

No such book could possibly exist could it ?

Thats exactly my point. I think of the documentary "Knocking" and how the JWs were so excited to have a non-JW present the Borg in such a positive light. Fact is, the kid was raised a JDub and has family members who he loves still in. He's not an outside observer, he's a lapsed JW with JW sympathies.

I think one would find that every pro-WT or pro-JW book or documentary out there is created by someone with a positive JW connection. Any neutral analysis of the religion would produce a critical book/documentary, not a positive one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit