Blondie's Comments You Will Not Hear at the 02-27-11 WT Study (SING)

by blondie 35 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I knew there would be a ton of comments on this thread. I'm so thankful for this forum. Today's WT had to have been the strangest one I can ever recall. Couple observations.

Songs of praise in a basement are what motivated Rusell to continue his search for God. Maybe I'm looking to hard into that little bit of history, but you mean to tell me Babylon the Great deserved some kudos just this one time? Russell enjoyed singing that came from the table of demons, and it encouraged him? Interesting.

The question involving us being in prison and whether or not we'd remember the lyrics to the songs was pure comedy. If I get sent to the bing for a several year bid, the last thing I want buzzing in my head is anything from that new song book. I kinda get the feeling the Black Guerilla Family or the Mexican Mafia would probably have a problem with me singing Be Glad You Nations With His People. They'd probably shank me with a knife made of melted down Jolly Ranchers. I can see it now, taking a shower, thinking I'm all alone in ad-seg, singing From Door to Door, and then being attacked by The Cell Block Booty Bandit. I'll really be singing to Jehovah then, hitting those high notes. Squeel like a pig, whinnnn whinnnn!!

Paragraphs 18-20 were pretty much an infomercial with a touch of S&M. Music is subjective, and everyone's taste's vary. So to read in paragraph 18 about beautiful orchestral and choral arrangements that make for enjoyable listening, but at the same time admonishing us to listen to the songs often in order to learn the lyrics seems like a mixed message. If its so beautiful, wouldn't the flock have it on repeat in their Ipods already? Ohhh thats right, how could I forget!!! Silly me!!! The new song book sucks!!! But no matter, so what if its recieving poor reviews by way of lack of listening, we'll just guilt trip the flock into listening to it!!

Today's WT was a fine example of whats wrong with organized religion and cults. The lesson I learned was you can't regiment faith.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I find it interesting that one of the most significant contributors to the Kingdom Melodies is now disfellowshipped, yet the WTS decided to use 7 or 8 of his songs in the new song book. His departure occured prior to the new song book being released. Maybe I am splitting hairs here, but wouldn't that be considered apostate information under the society's broad definition of apostate writings? Wouldn't it at the very least be considered "bad association" to sing these particular songs? I guess getting the license free compositions trump any "negative" aspects of the source of the compositions!

• Beware of false prophets
    Beware of false prophets

Forgive me if I repeat anyone else; I haven't read the whole thread yet...

I actually sort of read this study article. My mother and I talked on the phone the other night and I wanted to see how the meeting might affect her current lack of "zeal". I was happy to find that it was a total time waster! That said, all I could see what more mind control. "Listen to the CD often" and "practice" and "memorize" the constant use of repetition is a form of mind control (aside from the fact that they seem to be doing damage control when it comes to the new songbooks). The shortening of the songs and making them easier this and easier that also smacks of mind control. I don't know well what they state translates to real life (although not very well yet from the sounds of it). Anyway, that's my take on it. I haven't actually heard any of the new songs yet.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

It's kind of a telling sign that this is even an issue...how can it be fixed?

1. Use songs people like!

2. Why not be like churches people enjoy and use technology...guitars, drums, singers, projectors and slides and current music! The churches I've been to...don't have a problem singing. That's actually the part everyone looks forward too. I'd venture to say no one even leaves their seats during the service? If they do...you don't even notice. Especially during the songs! Just my experience.

thanks blondie for the summary, I really enjoy these.

The part where they were explaining the need for revisions of the song book was nonsense! I mean, really..."new order" to "new world" and "vindication" to "sanctification"...I just don't see why they feel the need to "strain the gnat" like that!!! Crazy!

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

thanks blonde-i can remember in the early 90s -we had a sister whowould enthuastically play the piano at the kh.the wts representive [new co] put an end to that.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

ANOTHER GREAT ARTICLE BY THE WT CRAP SOCIETY.....Great comments Blondie. I didn't had the opportunity to hear any of the new songs(and I don't have any intention to do it so) but from what I have listen the new Song Book it is completely crap and many JW's find it hard to follow the new lyrics and music. I guess that is why the "slave class" wrote this article, in order to persuade JW's to learn the new songs, since they find it hard to learn them...

What I can tell from my previous experience(225 Songs)most of them they are badly written.(musically speaking)The tunes are not easy to remember since they are not written in the common music scales. For a person to recall a song, it must be nice to the ears and easy to remember it. That is why in music industry and generally in pop music, the tunes are easily to remember, and many songs are written in Am, Em, C, G, Dm, because those tones are easy for average people. Just take how many pop songs you can recall the music,(like Beatles- Yesterday, Let it Be) and even the lyrics, and for sure JW's know and CAN SING more pop songs than their song book!!! And the reason it is simple: THEY ARE EASY TO REMEMBER THEM!!!!

So instead of following the pattern of pop music, and other Christian groups, WT has assigned to their musicians to write music that YOU JUST CAN'T FOLLOW IT. Most of the songs are written in tones that are hard to sing, like A#, B#, Cbm, tones that usually are reffering to classical music, or jazz scales!!! Even a qualified musician will find it hard(in a matter of speaking)to learn, memorize and sing in those scales!!!

The outcome is that even in this simple issue of music, the GB has managed to make it hard for the JW's to follow!!!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I feel so sorry for the people who had to sit through that terrible meeting. It must have been bloody torture!

• Heaven
    Heaven

S - I - N - G

This is a self defense acronym for the areas of the body you nail if attacked from behind:

Solar Plexus

Instep

Nose

Groin

• elderelite
    elderelite

Nice referanced blondie!! That one about giving up a music carrer was priceless :-)

Its aready been referanced but the mind control asspects are staggering.... Even reading 1984 orwell portrays these very same techniques... The repeatin of mantras is very a common form of indocrination... And we are to litterally "sing the truth into our minds and hearts"... But wait! We need a new song book because "truth" changes all the time around here... I wonder if i can use that as a defense at my judicial committee... "sorry brother elders... The old song book did too good a job sounding down OLD truth into my heart.. I just havent learned enough new songs yet"...

They wrote a whole article telling us that theyade a new song book cause the old one was full of old wrong teachings, that the new one is simpler cause we r stupid and needed it simplified, that songs are shorter because singing is so important, that we need to memorize songs not found in the bible cause thats what the first centery christians did.... All of this... And still we r supposed to know and believe that is the organization god is using today. Cause evidently he cant get any better than this crap...

• nugget
    nugget

Thank god I was watching my Dad blow out his birthday candles rather than listening to this garbage. It is as if the GB wants to take anything joyful and turn it into dull beige pap. There is nothing enjoyable now about meeting content.

Why is it that the churches who have been through trauma and upheaval can still sing songs written hundreds of years ago, but the society has to change their songbook so many times? Quite frankly this book is an abortion that should never have seen the light of day and not something that deserves a whole watchtower study.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit