Interesting Experience...

by TheClarinetist 9 Replies latest jw friends

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

So my girlfriend and I were walking to the post office and this really quiet guy comes up and comments that he likes my shirt (black shirt that says "Lucifer" in white text). He then goes on to say that he's a monk and wants us to have this "free" book on meditation. My girlfriend is big into meditation, so she's like "okay" and starts looking at it, and then he tells us that he can't give it to us unless we make a donation so that they can pay to print another book. Of course, I don't have any money for food or rent, much less for a book, so we have to turn him down. Sound familiar?

Anyway, this was a new one for me. I've never been proselytized to by someone like that, especially someone not Christian. Anyone else have any similar experiences, or maybe know what group this guy was with? It was really weirded me out. LoL.

• Ding
    Ding

I don't know what group that guy was with.

However, years ago because of First Amendment interpretations, large airports in the USA were filled with people who were promoting their religions, passing out literature, and seeking donations.

If you watch the famous spoof movie "Airplane!" you'll see a hilarious scene in which an airline pilot played by Robert Stack enters the terminal and literally has to punch and kick his way past people promoting the Moonies, JWs, Buddhism, Scientology, and a half dozen others all competing for his time and money.

• brotherunsure
    brotherunsure

That would freak me out I think...

• wasblind
  • Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

sounds like a Hari Krishna to me - I got duped once

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Thank you wasblind, I always loved that scene.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

LOL freeze, wern't you in that movie?

• Perry
    Perry

They put in Jerry's kids and left out the Mormons?

Too funny though!

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I think Qcmbr's right- sounds like Hari Krishna to me too. I've ran into them a time or two, very strange.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Yeah... I think we have a winner. After a quick Google, I definitely recognize the book he was trying to give us as their holy book. On that note... Celibacy, Vegetarianism, and Abstinence from Drugs and Alcohol... Were they EVER talking to the wrong person. LoL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit