Watchtower - Taxes and Grassley

by zarco 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• zarco
    zarco

Charles Grassley of Iowa has for years been very concerned about abuses in the use of money by “charitable” and religious organizations. He recently stated, “the constitution does not exempt churches from federal income taxation or from filing tax and information returns”.

His goal is complete transparency of how the dollars are used. Interestingly, well respected Billy Graham did not classify his organization as a church. He opted for full accountability and transparency.

As many of you, I feel that true transparency in how the Watchtower uses it funds and full transparency in doctrinal and other matters – blood issue and child abuse issues – would crush the Watchtower.

So for those of who wish that to come true, encourage Senator Grassley to fight on!

http://www.economist.com/node/18010759

Best,

Zarco

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Good article - thanks for sharing.

• LV101
    LV101

great post --- hope everyone sees this and will definitely check out link.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Very interesting article Zarco.

Here's hoping the waters of the Euphrates begin to recede.

om

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Is Grassley a chair? Does he bring significant clout to the table to do more than introduce bills? The Dems control the Senate-barely. Introducing legislation is easy. Getting it out of committee and on to a floor vote is the proof of the pudding.

I don't think this is realistic. It should be law. Imagine all the churches fat with wealth. The Catholic Church comes to my mind long before the Witnesses. Has anyone noticed how people who could not hold down normal jobs tend to end up with religious groups where anythig is allowed and work is often sloppy? Their valid administrative costs must be whopping.

The Witness would collapse under transparency. It may be the only way they will go, short of Armageddon.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

And if and when the government/s start to make these religions pay tax

the WT will spin it as part of the signs of the end times too,

you know, shutting down babylon the great, attacking the Jws 'last' and this will no doubt be spun to the faithfull to bail them out with more $$$$$

my thinks anyway

oz

• zarco
    zarco

Grassley is the senior member on several committees, judciary, finance and taxation among others. His ideas on transparency and possible taxation of religions are long held beliefs and I am sure resonate better now than in the past. He represents Iowa - a very conservative US State.

Zarco

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit