Ever read 'the exorcist' or any book of that type?

by TTWSYF 9 Replies latest social current

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I recently read 'Hostage to the devil'. The 1st book that gave me nightmares in decades. Very spooky. Anyone ever read that one?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I read I Amytyville Horror when I was 13, (in the 70's) and because it was being marketed as a true story, it scared the snot out of me. One night, I turned out my light after reading it, and my white cat pushed open my closet door--real slow, and I sat straight up unable to scream. Then she jumped on my bed and I screamed and screamed like never before. I'm still truamatized!

Before I was a JW I was a huge Stephen King and John Saul fan. They both creeped me out but good. Since leaving, I haven't read too much paranormal stuff, but I've been busy reading lots of other stuff.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I read the Exorcist long before I saw the movie. I didn't find it scary. Nor did I find the movie scary. It was all too hokey.

One of my mother's friends had a book about out of body experiences. She said I could try to read it, but no one could finish it because it was a frightening book. She was right, it scared me and I gave it back to her. The book was not fiction. It made you worry that one time you'd fall asleep, astral project and then while you were out, somehow the silver chord that connects soul to body would break and your body would die.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

That's demonistic. We shouldn't read that. Demons are bad. Mmmmmkay.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It made you worry that one time you'd fall asleep, astral project and then while you were out, somehow the silver chord that connects soul to body would break and your body would die.

This is off topic, but FHN's comment reminded me of an Alice Cooper song--from his Alice Cooper Goes To Hell album, so maybe not so much off topic! LOL

Wake Me Gently

I was scared to death
    Afraid to close my eyes
    And find that I was gone
    Like every other one
    Who left before the dawn
    I vanished in the air
    Am I still there

And in my sleep
    I look so lifeless on this bed
    Laid out on satin sheets
    This dream's a novel
    That I don't dare complete
    No happy ending read
    I think the hero's dead

And if I can't wake up
    Will I be all alone
    A stranded orphan here
    Or will I bump into
    Some other wandering soul
    And will talk to me
    Somebody, somebody please rescue me

Wake me gently
    If you can
    Wake me gently
    Just touch my hand
    Wake me gently
    Pull my sleeve
    'Cuz where I'm at
    Is where I wanna leave

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

American psycho, awesome book, not exactly horror but it will make feel sick, up there with the OT.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I just mentioned on another thread:

"The House of Doctor Dee" by Peter Ackroyd. (John Dee was astrologer to Elizabeth I, and a necromancer)

I was walking past a second hand bookstore, and in the window was a copy, with a label on it: "NOT TO BE RETURNED"

That piqued my interest so I went in and bought it. The whole time i read that book I was so edgy I had to keep looking behind me. I thought I saw things scuttling past in the corner of my eye. Even after I finished it, I felt as if it was watching me from the bookshelf. I got so obsessed I threw it out.

A couple of weeks later I was putting away the laundry. I opened the underwear drawer, and it was lying there.

I ripped it up and set fire to the shreds. Creepiest thing that ever happened to me.

HB

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

fyi = Malachi Martin wrote 'hostage to the devil'.

Hamsterbait, your book [the house of Dr. Dee] sounds quite spooky too.

dc

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I don't like books or movies that are very violent. There are some violent scenes in that movie and book. That's my issue with it. I watched Silence of the Lambs and it really bothered me too.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

New Chapter: love Alice Cooper. Love It To Death is my favorite LP from him. I read Out of Body Experiences the summer I was 16. I didn't get messed up with JW's until I was getting close to 18. I read The Exorcist when I was 14. I saw the movie when I was JW, as an adult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit