From a fortune cookie: Don't let others stop you from doing what you believe is right!

by NVR2L8 3 Replies latest jw friends

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Previously wrongly posted under Adult Members...

A little while back we ordered chinese food and in one of the "fortune cookies" my wife found the message I quoted above. As JWs we view these messages as foolish and I even made up the message from my cookie to say that "I would get lucky that night"... Strangely, the next day I found her message posted on our fridge's door with a magnet. My wife still refuses to discuss any of the reasons behind my decision to stop going to the meetings, so I guess the fortune cookie message is her way of telling me she is not going to join me in leaving the "truth". At first I was a bit upset by the way she used to express her stand, but after thinking about it I realized that the message provides me an opportunity to point out that "I can't let others stop ME from doing what I believe is right"...not even peer pressure, threats of loosing my family and friends or even death at the ever so close Armagueddon...JWs are programmed to see only one side of the equation - their side - and they are always right. Since they are not allowed to challenge any teachings and do research outside WTS publications, they are never exposed to evidence that would show them that sometimes others are right too. I was trained to think that very way and when I first saw the message I automatically thought as a JW...for a moment. But now that I am no longer getting my daily dose of "spiritual food" endoctrination I am starting to use my reasoning faculties to see both sides of the equation and come to my own conclusion. I hope that soon I can help my wife and family experience how good it feels to be free to think for yourself.

NVR2L8

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Ummm... I liked your post. Good thoughts. One question though...

If your wifey is a JW, how is it that she is actually reading 'Fortune' cookies? Is this now acceptable for JWs?

I know when I used to be a JW, the Fortune Cookies were viewed as 'demonic' - and never were the fortunes read - if the cookie was eaten.

I also know that even as a former JW (non-JW?) now, whenever I am in the company of practicing JWs (they usually don't know I used to be a JW - I can observe them better this way), and we are in a Chinese restaurant, and they get the Fortune Cookies... they usually break the cookie, and don't even look at the fortune, but throw it away, and then proceed to eat the cookie.

Soooo.... I'm confused. Are Fortune Cookies - in particular, the Fortune papers within the cookies, now a 'matter of conscience'?

Personally, I like reading the papers, and will laugh at what they say. I have even added a phrase to the end of the fortunes - that I learned from a friend. I will add '...in the bedroom.' It makes some fortunes seem silly, especially if everyone in the group has to say it, while reading their 'fortunes' aloud.

Regards,

Jim TX

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Jim_TX,

I guuess the same rules applie as for the movie "Fantasia" - it's left to your conscience..ahahaha!

NVR2L8

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have always heard that the best way to read a fortune cookie is to add the words "in bed" at the end of the sentence.

This adds a whole new meaning to the cookie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit